The mission of the University Center is to provide access and affordability to the University and surrounding community to fulfill the needs for events such as business meetings, trainings, entertainment, athletics and high school commencement ceremonies. The University Center is dedicated to serving all customers as the ideal location on Southeastern's campus for large-scale, arena-style events.
The “UC”, located on 11 acres on the campus of Southeastern Louisiana University, is a versatile facility and can accommodate small meetings to large-scale entertainment events. The octagon-shaped building has been a campus landmark since it's opening in 1982 at a cost of $16.3 million. Conferences, trade shows/expos, seminars, graduations and concerts are just a few examples of successful events held in the UC throughout the years.
The Center's three levels include the 15,000 square foot arena that is surrounded by 7,561 fixed seats arranged in two tiers with space for approximately 40 wheelchairs. The arena floor can accommodate 1,400 moveable seats.
The Facility Offers:
- New arena sound and lighting system with seating for over 7,500
- Meeting rooms with wifi to accommodate large and small gatherings
- 2,500 parking spaces in surrounding lots for convenience
- 1,728 square feet of portable staging and a basketball court
- 16 building entrances (ground and plaza level of 8 entry gates) with 32 doors
- Three ticket booths with six stations
- Accessibility to those with disabilities
- An actor's suite with three dressing rooms
- Two elevators
- Eight public restrooms
- Two large concession stands
The Center also has satellite downlink capabilities. All of the ground floor meeting rooms are equipped to receive televised programs for conferences and classes. In addition, the University Center has capabilities to originate and view compressed video classes, lectures, and seminars.
The Center is home to a number of administrative offices for the University, including Men's and Women's basketball and Volleyball offices, and The Southeastern Channel's television studio.
Clear Bag Policy
For security purposes, all commencement attendees will enter the University Center after being cleared through Bag Check. All articles brought into the facility will be subject to search. Please note that ONLY clear bags will be allowed.
A clear bag policy allows for non-clear bags to be easily identifiable to law enforcement personnel inside and around the University Center. The policy also allows security personnel to be more efficient in the screening of all items entering the University Center.
The following bags are permissible following a brief screening at all ALU Athletic venues:
- Small clear or non-clear wristlets/clutches/wallets measuring smaller than 4.5" x 6.5" (approximately the size of a person's hand)
- 1-gallon clear, re-sealable freezer bags
- Clear plastic,vinyl or PVC tote bags measuring smaller than 12" x 6" x 12"
- Clear plastic,vinyl or PVC drawstring/cinch bags measuring smaller than 12" x 6" x 12"
All non-approved bags/items will not be allowed to enter the venue. All bags/items left near the University Center entrances will be discarded. Attendees are encouraged to leave non-approved bags/items at home.
The Clear Bag Policy can be accessed at the link below:
To ensure a safe and comfortable Commencement, the following items are strictly prohibited from being brought into each venue:
- Containers of any kind (including but not limited to coolers, thermoses, cups, bottles, cans, flasks)
- Aerosol and spray cans
- Animals (except for service animals for persons with a disability)
- Balloons and beach balls
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Signs, banners, and flags
- Laser pointers
- Noisemakers (including but not limited to whistles, air horns, bull horns, sirens, thunder sticks, etc.)
- Confetti, glitter, streamers, and silly string
- Fireworks, party poppers, and sparklers