Health Center Frequently Asked Questions


Can I schedule an appointment to see a practitioner?

Yes. We see our patients by scheduled appointments. All appointments are made online

What type of information do I need to bring with me for an appointment?

New patients: Bring your school ID, consent form and health assessment form found
on website.
Established patients:  school ID. 

Are you going to tell my parents that I came to the University Health Center?

No. Anyone 18 and older is considered an adult by law. We are not allowed to release
any information to anyone without a signed consent by the patient. Once a release
is signed, we can only release the information to the person the patient specifies
and can only tell them what the patient specifies. Make sure if you’re having your
parent or a friend meet you at the clinic that you notify us. If you’re not in the
waiting room or they miss you for some reason, we won’t be able to tell them that
you are/were at here at all.

If you want your parent to speak to a practitioner about your illness, make sure you
sign the release of information consent allowing them to do so. Otherwise, we cannot
discuss your case.


Do you prescribe birth control pills?

Our women’s health program requires you to have a current well woman exam (within
the last year). Once you’ve had your exam, the practitioner will discuss your contraceptive
options. If you are a good candidate for oral contraceptives (birth control pills),
she will prescribe them to you.

If this is your first time on oral contraceptives:

You will be given a 3 month prescription.

You must schedule a return visit while you are on your 3rd pack of pills for a blood
pressure and weight evaluation. During that 3 month visit, you will be given a 10
month prescription from the practitioner to get filled at a pharmacy of your choice.

If this is a continuation of oral contraceptives, you will be given a 1 year prescription.


I think I broke my ankle, can I be seen at the University Health Center?

Absolutely. Our practitioner will evaluate your injury and possibly send you for an
x-ray. If there is a fracture (a break), we can make a referral to an orthopedic specialist
for you. 

Can I go to the University Health Center to have my blood drawn for routine tests
that my regular doctor ordered?

No.  We do not draw blood at the clinic but we can send you to Labcorp in town where
we send our patients for routine blood work. 


Can I have a pregnancy test done there?

Yes. Just make an appointment online.  Urine pregnancy tests are $5. 

How do you pay for services?

You can use your credit or debit card to put money on your Lion’s Lagniappe Acct. 
You will need your student ID.  This is done thru the GET app or online at


Do you have a dentist or an eye doctor?

No, but we will be happy to provide you with a referral.


Are general physicals done at the University Health Center?

Yes, physicals are done here. Please bring your form(s) with you to the clinic because
physical requirements vary within each department. Exclusions include CDL physicals.

Do you give the meningitis shot?

Unfortunately we don’t give this vaccination at the University Health Center.  You
can check with Walgreens, Walmart, CVS or you may call your primary care doctor and
inquire whether this vaccine is given at their office or check with any walk in clinic.  


Can I be seen at the clinic in the summer even if I am not in school?

No, you must be an active student to access the University Health Center. 


Do you offer mental health services?

Mental Health Services are offered free of charge to all students through the University
Counseling Center. More information may be obtained on their website ( or by calling their department at (985) 549-3894.


What’s your policy on giving doctor’s excuses?

The University Health Center will provide excuses for students who have missed class
while being seen in our clinic. If you missed class and did not come to the health
center for treatment, we will not provide you with a class excuse. Work excuses are
also available, if needed.


My professor won’t accept any doctor’s excuses, even if I’m bedridden. What do I do?

Each instructor has their own absence policy which is given to students in their syllabus
on the 1st day of class. If you have any difficulties and do have medical documentation,
you can contact the Dean of Students at (985) 549-3792 and explain your situation.
Should you need to go to their office, it is located in the Student Union room 2409.

Will it cost anything to be seen at the clinic?

There is a membership fee paid through your tuition that entitles you to a medical
evaluation with a clinician. This includes assessments for illnesses, minor injuries,
and general physicals, but does not include lab work or procedures.

There are billable services which include some office procedures, lab work, pap smears
& injections and are at the expense of the student. If you would like information
on current prices for these services, please visit the Services and Fees area of our website.


Can I get my medical records there?

Yes. You can obtain copies of your medical records here once we receive a written
authorization from you.
Under Louisiana Law (LaRS40:1299.96), fees for medical record copies are:
  $1.00 per page for the first 25 pages
  $  .50 per page for pages 26-500
  $  .25 per page thereafter
We will be happy to email your medical records to you at no charge.


I was in a car accident and am having problems related to the accident. Can I be seen
at the University Health Center?

We do not assess or treat any injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents. We
advise seeking assistance at a local emergency room or contacting your private MD.

I injured myself while working at my place of employment. Can I come to the clinic?

We do not treat or assess work related accidents. You should notify your supervisor
of the injury and follow the guidelines put forth by your employer of where to seek

Can I get STD testing done at the clinic and is there a cost?

Screening is advised for all sexually active individuals.

Chlamydia & Gonorrhea ($10) – Screening may be done by direct swab or urine collection.

HIV ($10) – screening via finger stick. 

To fulfill my registration requirements, where do I turn in my immunization records?

All immunization records can be faxed to Admission at (985) 549-5882 or emailed to
[email protected].

Where do I go to get a copy of my immunization records I turned in during my admissions

To request the immunization records you turned in upon enrollment, send an email to [email protected].  In the email, include your name, W# and what you are requesting.  Remember, Southeastern
provides incoming students with a compliance form so we may not have your immunization
record but a compliance form instead.

How do I find answers to questions about the insurance the University offers students?

The university does not offer student health insurance.  Check as well
as each individual company for a student policy that best suits your needs.

International Students can contact [email protected] to inquire about insurance through the university. or visit the International Services Office homepage. 

Can I speak with a nurse on the phone about a health concern to determine whether
I should make an appointment to come in?

If there is a health care provider available, yes, you can speak to one on the telephone.
Otherwise, it is advised to make an appointment and come in.


How do I provide feedback regarding my experience at the student health center?

You will receive an email with a link to a satisfaction survey. It is confidential. 

What kinds of medication can you prescribe?

The nurse practitioner can prescribe most routine things but will not prescribe narcotics
or ADD meds.


Where is the nearest pharmacy that can fill my prescription?

A1 Pharmacy is the cheapest and works well with our student body.  Mannino’s is also
within blocks of the campus.

Can I get the morning after pill at the University Health Center?


I have been exposed to COVID-19, what should I do?

Stay home

Self-report on the LINK system (

Make a TELEMEDICINE/VIRTUAL VISIT at the University Health Center (DO NOT COME INTO

Get tested for COVID-19

**If you are having emergency symptoms, seek immediate medical care**