The Southeastern landscape crew's responsibilities are integrated to include both installation and maintenance of ornamental plantings throughout the campus.
Goals of Planting Installations:
- To create friendly corridors connecting campus locations and enhance the sense of arrival at campus destinations and entrances.
- To apply plant knowledge combined with design strategies to select proper plant solutions for each landscape situation.
- To adequately prepare soil quality and drainage of planting beds to meet growth requirements of plants selected.
- To install plants according to recognized horticultural practices.
- To install automated irrigation systems within campus landscapes to sustain existing and new plants, while minimizing initial impact to the root systems of existing trees and shrubs.
Goals of Landscape Maintenance:
- To maintain healthy plants by monitoring pest thresholds and responsibly implementing integrated pest control measures.
- To strategically supplement soil nutrients for active plant growth.
- To maintain weed-free beds through mulching, chemical controls, and pulling weeds by hand.
- To repurpose debris from campus grounds maintenance as useful mulch for landscape beds.
- To define and interpret landscape plantings through selective hand-pruning or shearing according to best horticultural practices.