Southeastern continues to monitor guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the Louisiana Governor's Office related to COVID-19. Given guidance to avoid large group assemblies, Southeastern will not hold Spring Commencement on May 16, 2020, as originally scheduled. Instead, based on input from student leaders, a Summer Commencement ceremony will be scheduled for late summer 2020 to celebrate the accomplishments of both Spring and Summer graduates.
Spring graduates will receive their diplomas via mail along with details about Summer Commencement.
Although we are disappointed to delay this special event for our graduates, we look forward to the opportunity to celebrate their outstanding accomplishments at a time when it is safe to do so.
Graduates and their families are encouraged to monitor this web page for updates and details on Summer Commencement 2020.
The Commencement Committee congratulates all candidates! We hope that Commencement will be a rewarding experience for you and your family and friends. As no practice for Commencement Exercises is possible, we present the following instructions for your information.
Caps and Gowns
All graduates participating in Commencement are required to purchase commencement regalia from the Southeastern Louisiana University Bookstore. In addition to caps and gowns, graduates may purchase graduation announcements, personalized name cards, class rings, and diploma plaques. The University Bookstore is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Friday. For further assistance, call 985-549-5393 or email email@example.com.
Morning Commencement Schedule
|9:00 a.m.||Candidates for Nursing and Health Sciences and Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences degrees assemble in caps and gowns on Lower Level of the University Center.|
|10:00 a.m.||Nursing and Health Sciences and Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences procession begins.|
Evening Commencement Schedule
Due to parking limitations, candidates should arrive early. Parking will be available in lots around the University Center on a first-come basis. Graduates and guests parking on south campus should utilize the shuttle or tunnel. Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
Prior to entering the arena, candidates of a College will be lined up in alphabetical order by degree, presented with a "reader card" and, if appropriate, presented with an honor stole. Candidates will be led by their dean and reader through the hallway and down the stairs to the arena. They will proceed to their seats as directed by Marshals.
Candidates will leave the arena as directed by the Marshals and are escorted out of the University Center arena.
The President of the University will confer degrees en masse. Following this and upon a signal from the Marshals, the reader and candidates in each College will proceed in single file across the center and to the side of the stage where candidates will present readers with their "reader card," ascend the stairs, cross the stage as their names are called, receive their diploma covers, take photo with University President, proceed to photo area for solo portrait picture, and return to their seats from the outside of the row. Doctoral students should bring their hood to the stage with them (see Hooding instructions).
Candidates requiring special accommodations should contact Office of Enrollment Services at 985-549-2244 or 1-800-222-SELU (7358) prior to the week of Commencement. A wheelchair lift is available to access the commencement stage.
University Police and Acadian Ambulance will be on duty to provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
Photographs of graduates will be taken during the ceremony by a commercial photography service. Each student will be contacted directly by the company for order placement and free proofs. Individuals will not be allowed on the floor of the arena to take personal photographs.
Mailing of Diplomas
Diplomas will be mailed on June 15, 2020. To notify Enrollment Services of a change in diploma address, send a letter stating your correct address to Office of Enrollment Services, SLU 10752, Hammond, LA 70402 or visit NCMB, room 107 or email us at Gradapp@southeastern.edu. (The Alumni Office provides mini-diplomas at Lion4Life Launch Party)
The University will present stoles to honor graduates who are receiving a baccalaureate degree or an associate's degree. Honor graduates are students who have an overall grade point average of 3.500 or better. Questions regarding stoles should be directed to the Reader or other personnel involved in lining up candidates.
Commencement Dress Do's and Don'ts:
- Leave bags at home. No security is provided for items unattended.
- Dress comfortably. Candidates will be at Southeastern for a minimum of three hours; the event is a combination of standing and sitting so dress comfortably for both.
- All candidates should wear dark shoes.
- Men should wear shirt and tie, dark dress slacks.
- If wearing heels, consider a lower heel for the sake of stairs, stage, etc.
- No shorts, jeans, or beach sandals should be worn.
- Robes should be zipped closed.
- Don't forget your regalia!
Special Notes and Tips:
- Set an alarm or have a buddy system to make sure you arrive on time.
- Proper decorum is expected of all participants. Noisemakers, confetti, and other similar objects are disruptive to the ceremony and are not permitted.
- Any excessive decorations on gowns or mortarboards are distracting and therefore inappropriate.
- Only University-approved stoles, cords, ribbons or medals associated with academic honors or membership in Phi Kappa Phi or the Thirteen Club may be worn with the cap and gown. Students may be asked to remove any adornment that is deemed inappropriate by a commencement official.
- Candidates may not carry any personal items in the processional, including cell phones, video cameras and other electronic devices. No security is provided for these items if left unattended.
- Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in and around the University Center. Food and drinks of any kind are not allowed in the arena.
- The cap tassel for faculty and graduates is to the left front. For undergraduates, the tassel is right front then shifted to the left after receiving diploma.
- Commencement Exercises will last approximately two hours. Out of respect for all degree candidates, all participants are expected to remain for the entire ceremony.
- Plan in advance where to meet your family afterwards. Graduates are escorted out of the University Center following the ceremony.
- Enjoy the day!