Southeastern Theatre is committed to developing emerging voices in theatre by providing full productions of yet-to-be-published winning plays as part of its Mainstage Season. No other undergraduate theatre program in our region dedicates a quarter of its season every academic year to new play development at this level. Our students benefit from being part of the process of developing a new play and our audiences and students have the opportunity to meet with the playwright in production and in post-show audience talkbacks. Every year the Inkslinger contest continues to grow with more and more playwright submissions extending around the world.
Inkslinger playwright winners receive a full production in our Mainstage season, transportation to and from Hammond, LA and accommodations while attending the play.
Congratulations to Shayne Kennedy, our 2021 Inkslinger winner. Southeastern Theatre will proudly present Shayne's play, Mrs. Whitman's Words for Women, April 5-8, 2022.
Thank you to everyone who submitted a play this year. The Inkslinger Playwriting Competition 2022 will start accepting submissions on December 6, 2021.
Inkslinger submissions are currently closed. For more submission opportunities, visit PlaySubmissionsHelper.com/blog for a list of contests and other play submission opportunities.
Rules and Submission Guidelines
1) The contest is open to all playwrights.
2) All submissions must be original and unpublished. Play should be intended for a college-aged cast and audience. Your play will still qualify if it's been produced, but again it must not be published.
3) We will only be accepting full-length plays. No musicals at this time will be considered.
4) Playwrights may submit as many plays as they wish. There is a $10 submission fee per script.
5) Scripts must be typed and arranged in professional play script format. Please provide a synopsis and character breakdown with your play as a separate document in your submission.
6) Please submit one blind copy of your script as a word document via email. All submissions must be sent electronically. IMPORTANT: In the body of your email provide us with your name, address and telephone number. Again, please make sure your copy is blind with no information about the playwright.
7) The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, April 6, 2021 (postmarked).The winner and production dates will be announced on this page after May 1, 2021.
8) Please submit the submission fee to the address below. Please make checks payable to SLU.
Email scripts to
Mail submission fee to
Southeastern Louisiana UniversityInkslinger Playwriting Contest: Chad WintersVisual Art + Design Department
SLU Box 10815
Hammond, LA 70402
Please make checks out to SLU. Do not make the check out to Chad Winters