Directions to Turtle Cove
The Turtle Cove parking lot, dock, and classroom--which is where everyone starts their journey at Turtle Cove--is located at Galva Canal in "Manchac" off of I-55 between LaPlace and Hammond near the Manchac exit. The official address for Galva Canal is 87 Alligator Lane, Akers (Manchac), LA 70421. The GPS Coordinates are 30° 16' 35.4" N and 90° 23' 53.4" W). (NOTE: We also have a boat slip on West Lake Maurepas that is accessible by car, but this is an hour west on the other side of Lake Maurepas from the Boat Shed at Galva Canal, and only for researchers).
To get to the Turtle Cove meeting point (Boat Shed/Classroom/Parking Lot at Galva Canal in Manchac), which is where most all of the field trip groups going to Turtle Cove need to meet at, follow these directions:
- Between LaPlace and Hammond onI-55 (the "high road"), take Exit 15 toward Manchac.
- Turn right (south) onto Hwy 51 (the "low road," also labeled as "Frontage Road"). Pass Middendorff's Restaurant on your left.
- Cross the bridge over Pass Manchac.
- After the bridge, travel about 1/4 of a mile and turn left onto a road that crosses over the railroad tracks (it's thesecond left possible after coming off the bridge)--the canal you see in front of you is Galva Canal. Stop and look both ways as you approach and cross the railroad tracks.
- After crossing the tracks, turn right immediately. This road curves and takes you to a yellow iron-pipe gate.
- Enter into the LDWF Manchac Wildlife Management Area/Southeastern Turtle Cove Boat Shed Area at Galva Canal.
- Continue 100+ yards from the gate until you come to the far section of the parking lot---the Southeastern/Turtle Cove section of the property marked with the large "Turtle Cove Environmental Research Station" sign hanging on the upstairs classroom over the boat shed and boats (see green “Parking” signs in front of the boat shed and park there). Overflow parking is against the marsh still further right.
- Now that you've reached the parking lot and boat shed area for Turtle Cove (at Galva
Canal), you'll then travel by boat 5 miles down Pass Manchac to actually get to Turtle
Cove, the self-guided boardwalk, etc.
Directions to I-55
Use the following directions to travel to I-55, depending on your approach:
From the South--New Orleans, LAarea
Travel west on I-10 toward Baton Rouge/New Orleans airport. Take Exit 210, merging north onto I-55 toward Hammond. Take Exit 15toward Manchac.
From the North--Hammond, LAorJackson, MSareas
Travel south on I-55 toward New Orleans. Take Exit 15 toward Manchac.
From the East--Covington, LAorSlidell, LAareas
Travel west on I-12. Take Exit 38A, merging south onto I-55 toward New Orleans. Take Exit 15 toward Manchac.
From the West--Lafayette, LA or Baton Rouge, LAareas
Travel east on I-10 toward Baton Rouge. Take Exit 159 (left), merging east on I-12 toward Hammond. Take Exit 38A, merging south onto I-55 toward New Orleans. Take Exit 15 toward Manchac.