Identification and Driver's License Information
Louisiana Driver's License
Anyone driving in the United States must be in possession of a valid driver’s license from the state in which they are currently residing. A Louisiana driver’s license may be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at 1320 N. Morrison Blvd in Hammond.
To obtain a driver’s license an individual is expected to pass a series of tests to ensure their knowledge of traffic law in the United States. A vision test will be administered to determine if your vision meets the minimum standards for safe driving. A traffic sign and knowledge of traffic law test will also be administered to question your knowledge of road signs and safe driving practices. Finally, you will also be expected to perform a driving test using a vehicle that you provide. (Please note that the vehicle you bring should pass a safety inspection, have a valid inspection sticker, and have a current license plate and registration. You must also present proof of liability insurance on the vehicle being used).
How to Apply for a Driver's License
- Bring your social security card or a letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you are not eligible for an SSN
- Bring valid passport, I-94 admission number (go to www.cbp.gov/I94), I-20/DS-2019
- Bring approximately $30 in cash
- Bring your most recent Southeastern fee bill and student ID
- Take a car with proper ownership documentation
- A study guide is available for the written test prior to examination in the DMV office
Louisiana State ID
The Louisiana Identification card is a useful and valid form of identification that
many international students can use. However, it is not a substitute for a driver’s
license and you will still need to obtain a Southeastern ID if you are a Southeastern
student. A state ID can be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
How to Apply for a LA state ID
- Bring social security number card or letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you are not eligible for an SSN
- Bring current and valid I-20/DS-2019, passport, and I-94 admission number (Go to www.cbp.gov/I94)
- Bring your most recent Southeastern fee bill
- Bring $30 in cash