Frequently Asked Questions


I locked my keys in my office - what do I do?

During regular business hours, you should contact the building coordinator for your building. After hours or during University closures, call 985-549-2222 to speak with a dispatcher and a police officer will be sent to your location as soon as one is available. Be sure to tell the dispatcher where you will meet the officer and be prepared to show the officer your ID card.

The University Police Department does not open offices for Student Workers or Graduate Assistants without prior, written permission from the faculty or staff member to whom the office is assigned.

Can I be fingerprinted at the University Police Department?

No, the University Police no longer provides finger printing services. All fingerprinting must be completed through the Louisiana State Police. Forms and information to complete this request can be found at:

How do I get a copy of a police report?

You may request a copy of any Initial Report by coming to the University Police Department in person and making the request during regular office hours (Fall and Spring: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 AM till 5:00 PM, Fridays 7:30 AM till 12:30 PM; Summer: Monday through Thursday, 7:00 AM till 5:30 PM, except holidays and University closures). You will be provided with a copy of the Initial Report at a charge of $20.00 (cash, check, or money order - no credit or debit cards.)

The Initial Report will include information which is considered "public record" according to LRS Chapter 44. If any additional information or a full report is needed, a Judicial Subpoena is required.

How can I make a police report?

Official police reports cannot be taken over the telephone or by e-mail. If you are the victim of or witness to a crime, please call or come by the University Police Department. Our office does not close - We are open 24-hours, 7 days a week, including weekends, holidays, and other times when the rest of the University may be closed.

You can call us at 985-549-2222 and the first available officer will be sent to meet with you. Be sure to tell the dispatcher where you will meet the officer and be prepared to show the officer your identification.

How do I request a police officer to speak to my class or group?

Visit our Community Education Page for typically requested classes and contact information.

Does the University Police Department have student positions?

The University Police actively seeks students who are interested in learning more about the Law Enforcement profession or who need student worker jobs at Southeastern. Our student worker program is called the Lion Guard. Members of the Lion Guard actively patrol the residential areas, assist with safety escorts, and assist with securing University buildings. Our Lion Guard acts as a second set of eyes for our officers and reports any suspicious incidents.

To apply for a student position, contact the Department at 985-549-2222 or e-mail

Is it safe to walk on campus at night?

Yes, provided you take some simple steps to enhance your safety. First of all, be alert to suspicious people or circumstances. If something or someone doesn't seem right to you, go to a well-lit populated area and notify the police. Travel in well lit, well-traveled areas and try not to walk alone. Familiarize yourself with the locations of emergency phones around campus - if you ever have a problem these are a direct line to the University Police.



MADD Dash 5k


Move-In Mane-ia