Enrollment Certification Process


Certification is the process in which our office electronically submits your enrollment
to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for processing and payment of your education
benefits. Enrollment is reported to the VA (certified) by our office based on eligible courses you are scheduled for. We will do this for every semester that you are enrolled and
have submitted paperwork. It is your responsiblity to confirm your continued enrollment
with the VA at the end of each month. Failure to do so may result in a delay in monthly

Please familiarize yourself with our Veterans Guide to Education Benefits.


Required Forms


Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

  • If you are a new student at Southeastern Louisiana University, you should first determine
    your eligibility for benefits. Come in to our office, call us, or email our Director
    to determine your eligibility. To learn more about which benefits are available and
    the eligibility criteria, please visit our benefits webpage
  • Once eligiblity is determined and you know which benefit to apply for, create an account
    on the VA Website and submit your application for benefits. If you are a dependent, you must have the
    SSN of the service member whose service you are claiming benefits from. 

    • If you are a spouse or dependent applying for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, the service member must first transfer their benefits to you via MilConnect. This transfer must be done while the service member is still actively serving in the
  • The VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK will process your application and then notify
    you via postal mail. We will need a copy of the letter the VA sends you. This letter
    is called a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Please allow at least 30 days for the
    VA to process your application and put the letter in the mail. Please contact the
    GI Bill® Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 for questions regarding your application status. 


Veteran’s Certification Request (VCR)

The Veteran’s Certification Request Form must be submitted each semester you are enrolled
and using benefits. Renewal is not automatic. These need to be submitted prior to
the start of the semester so that we have plenty of time to process your paperwork,
check that your classes are on your degree plan, and submit your hours in the VA system.
The VA will notify you via email when our office submits your enrollment certification.
You may submit this form in our office or email us the signed PDF version to [email protected] .


Evaluation of Military Transcripts for Transfer Credit

All service members are required to submit their military transcripts to the office
of admissions during the application process in order to have their military training
evaluated for potential college credits. If you are already enrolled at Southeastern
and have never submitted your transcripts for evaluation, you can still do so now.

  • Joint Services Transcript (JST) for Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard: JST Website
    • Instructions: Login to the website with your Military ID (CAC Login) or create an

      • Click on “Download my JST- My Complete JST Transcript”. Send a copy to the Office
        of Military and Veteran Success for us to keep in your file. 
      • Click on “Request Official JST”, and in the “School Search” tab type in “Southeastern
        Louisiana University”. Click on the consent statement, and then click the green button
        to “Send JST Transcript”. This will send your JST directly to the Office of Admissions
        for review. 
  • Community College of the Air Force transcripts: CCAF Website
    • Instructions: You may choose one of 3 options:
      • 1. Order your CCAF transcripts from Parchment, a third party website.
      • 2. Submit a free written request to CCAF by completing their mail-in transcript request
        form (link on their website)
      • 3. Submit an electronic request through the AU Service Desk.


Third Party Billing Form (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Federal Tuition Assistance, and VR&E students only)

This form must be submitted to the Office of Military and Veteran Success each semester you
are in attendance or your benefits will not be processed. Renewal is not automatic.
You must bring your Driver’s License with you so we can make a copy. Failure to submit
this form on time may result in a loss of scheduled classes, as advanced credit on
your fee account will not be applied without this form being complete.


Keep in Mind


Full-Time Status

  • During a regular semester, an undergraduate student enrolled in at least twelve (12) semester hours is considered full-time. During a
    summer session, a student enrolled in six (6) or more hours is considered full-time.
    Exceptions to this policy are the following: (1) student teaching, when this is the
    only course needed and when the course carries less than twelve hours credit; (2)
    a student enrolled in an internship course.
  • For all graduate students, full-time status is defined as enrollment in at least nine (9) hours of course work
    or the equivalent during the fall and spring semesters, and at least six (6) hours
    during the Summer term. The full-time equivalent status for students receiving a graduate
    assistantship is 6 hours in the fall and spring semesters and 3 hours in the summer.


The VA will not pay for the following:

  • Audited Courses: Courses that are attended but not taken for a grade
  • Repeated Courses: Courses that are retaken by the student, but are not required to
    be retaken for his/her degree program
  • Non-Major Courses: Courses that are not required in your major


The VA has a few exceptions that include:

  • Courses that are required by the student’s department to be repeated for a minimum
    grade. (Ex. The student is required to make a minimum grade of “C” but earned a grade
    of “D” or below).
  • Additional courses may be taken to ensure the full-time status of a graduating student
    in the final semester before graduation only. This does not apply to those receiving
    Chapter 31 (VR&E) benefits. 


You should request to have your enrollment certified for the upcoming semester once
you have registered for those classes.