Enrollment Certification Process
Certification is the process in which our office electronically submits your enrollment to the VA for processing and payment of your education benefits. Enrollment is reported to VA (certified) by our office based on eligible courses you are scheduled for.
The Veterans Administration Office will NOT pay for the following:
- Audited Courses-Courses that are attended but not taken for a grade
- Repeated Courses-Courses that are retaken by the student, but are not required to be retaken for his/her degree program
- Non-Major Courses-Courses that are not required in your major
The Veterans Administration has a few exceptions that include:
- Courses that are required by the student's department to be repeated for a minimum grade. (Ex. The student is required to make a minimum grade of "C" but earned a grade of "D" or below).
- Additional courses may be taken to ensure the full-time status of a graduating student in the final semester before graduation only. This does not apply to those receiving Chapter 31 benefits.
You can request to be certified once you have registered for classes. You will need to submit the following paperwork to our office:
Applying for Benefits-Certificate of Eligibility
- If you are a new student at Southeastern Louisiana University, you should first determine your eligibility for benefits
- Apply for your benefits on the VA website and complete form 22-1990 or form 22-5490 for CH35 dependent students.
- If you are a spouse or dependent applying for the Post 9-11 GI Bill, the service member must first request a transfer or benefits before you apply.
- The VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK will process your application and notify you by mail. Please allow at least 30 days for processing. Our office does not have access to VA records so please contact the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551 for questions regarding your application status.
Veteran's Certification Request
The Veteran's Certification Request must be submitted each semester you intend to use your benefits. Renewal is not automatic. Suggested deadline for timely payment of benefits is 6/8 weeks before the start of each semester. The VA will notify you by email when our office submits your enrollment certification.
Third Party Billing Form
This form must be submitted each semester you intend to use your benefits. Renewal is not automatic. Suggested deadline for timely payment of benefits is 6/8 weeks before the start of each semester.
Students receiving Post 9-11 GI Bill, please contact Sondra Sagnibene in the Accounts Receivable Office at email@example.com for this form.
For information regarding tuition assistance, contact Sondra Sagnibene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Guard members are eligible for the State Tuition Exemption Program (STEP)
- Must be a drilling member of the Louisiana National Guard,
- Must be domiciled in the state of Louisiana
- Must be in good standing with the Louisiana National Guard,
- Must be seeking an Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's Degree,
- Must maintain good academic standing with school, and
- Must pay all fees applied to bill (exemption covers tuition only).
Qualified students must complete and submit the course certificate form each semester to receive the benefits.
For more information, you may contact SPC Leonard Acker at email@example.com