The following criteria guide the consideration of an applicant for admission to the Master of Science Degree Program in Applied Sociology:
1. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Sociology, Criminal Justice, Social Work or a related social science field.
2. Satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses: sociological theory, social research methods and elementary social statistics.
3. 1,200 or more points based on the formula of 150 times the undergraduate cumulative grade point average plus the General Test (Verbal and Quantitative) score of the Graduate Record Examination for regular admission status. A student not eligible for regular admission may be admitted with provisional status if the student has 1,250 points based on the formula of 200 times the last 60 hours undergraduate cumulative grade point average plus the General Test (Verbal and Quantitative) score of the Graduate Record Examination.
4. Completed application for admission and payment of application fee on file in the Graduate Admissions office.
Requirements for Registering for Courses
To register for courses in the M.S. in Applied Sociology curriculum, students must:
1. Obtain the Graduate Coordinator’s written authorization prior to registration each semester. Advising for all graduate courses is mandatory. Only after being advised by the Graduate Coordinator will students be allowed to register in the department office.
2. Have an approved up-to-date degree plan on file with the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice.
3. Be in ‘good-standing’ (maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all coursework)
To remain in good standing in the Master of Science in Applied Sociology Program, students must:
1. Obtain the Graduate Coordinator’s written approval for an individual degree plan prior to registering for their first semester of graduate coursework.
2. Changes in the degree plan may be made only with the Graduate Coordinator’s written approval.
Admission to Candidacy
In order to file for Admission to candidacy for the master’s degree, the student must:
1. Have achieved regular admission status.
2. Completed 12 hours of graduate degree credit at SLU with a cumulative GPA of at
3. Have a degree plan approved by the Graduate Coordinator.
4. The application for admission to candidacy for the master’s degree must be
completed and signed by the student and by the Graduate Coordinator and submitted
to the Office of the Graduate Dean no later than 15 days after the first day of class of
the next semester or term in which the student is enrolled