Crossing Jordan-Cemeteries of Kentwood and Tangipahoa
CROSSING JORDAN Slides of cemeteries of Kentwood and Tangipahoa, Louisiana
Slide 0--Title Slide (6 copies)
The German-Jewish Cemetery is located approximately 4 miles north of Kentwood to the right of Highway 51. The cemetery consists of a walled section containing the graves of early Jewish settlers of the Osyka, Mississippi community. Surrounding the walled section are the graves of more recent non-Jewish burials. Cemetery had its origins in a yellow fever epidemic which hit Osyka in the 1870s.
Slide 1German-Jewish Cemetery corner facing some of the graves outside of the walled section.
Slide 2Examples of two cemetery plots in German-Jewish Cemetery. One plot uses a wrought iron fence as a boundary and one uses sandstones as a boundary. Walled Jewish section is in far distance. (5 copies)
Slide 3Walled Jewish section of the German-Jewish Cemetery in distance. (3 copies)
Slide 4Headstone of Samuel Wolf in walled Jewish section of the German-Jewish Cemetery.
Slide 5Headstone in walled Jewish section of the German-Jewish Cemetery showing Hebrew lettering (3 copies)
Slide 6Tomb which has fallen into disrepair in the German-Jewish Cemetery. (3 copies)
The Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery is located on the old Pearl Varnado home site approximately one mile east of Kentwood to the right of Highway 38. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in the Kentwood area containing the graves of some of the area’s earliest settlers.
Slide 7Wooded road leading to the Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery. (3 copies)
Slide 8Entrance to the Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery. Sign on fence lists the names of people known to be buried in the cemetery. (3 copies)
Slide 9Close-up of fence sign showing names of those buried in Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery.
Slide 10Marker on grave of Moses Varnadoe in Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery. Dates on marker are February 15, 1781-March 17, 1855. (3 copies)
Slide 11Marker on grave of Nancy Ward Thompson Varnadoe wife of Pearl Varnadoe in Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery. Date on marker is May 22, 1785. (3 copies)
Slide 12Graves of three children of the Rice and Blount family in the Varnado-McDaniel Cemetery (2 copies)
The Amacker Cemetery is located approximately ½ mile south of Kentwood to the right of Highway 51. It is one of the older cemeteries in the Kentwood area and contains the graves of the Amacker family, early settlers of Kentwood.
Slide 13View of the Amacker Cemetery. (2 copies)
Slide 14Toppled headstone in the Amacker Cemetery. (2 copies)
Slide 15Headstone of Nat Amacker, early settler of Kentwood, in the Amacker Cemetery. Dates on stone is Born 1811-Died December 30, 1881. (2 copies)
The Oak Grove A.M.E. Church Cemetery is located on Avenue I in Kentwood. Graves in the cemetery are those of members of the church.
Slide 16Graves in the cemetery are those of members of the Oak Grove A.M.E. Church. (3 copies)
The Sweet Home Baptist Church Cemetery is located in North Kentwood on the banks of Cool’s Creek. Graves in the cemetery are those of members of the Sweet Home Baptist Church, a black Baptist church established when this section of Kentwood was called Bucktown. Bucktown was home to black workers employed by the Brooks-Scanlon Company Sawmill.
Slide 17View of Sweet Home Baptist Church Cemetery. Cool’s Creek, which is out of view to the left of the slide, is used by the church for its baptisms. (2 copies)
Slide 18Remnants of old privy used by the Sweet Home Baptist Church. (2 copies)
The Tangipahoa Cemetery is located east of the Village of Tangipahoa on Highway 440. The cemetery is one of the oldest established cemeteries in the area.
Slide 19Entrance to Tangipahoa Cemetery. Covered well to the left of the picture houses an old hand drawn well pump. (2 copies)
Slide 20View of Tangipahoa Cemetery road and surrounding graves. (2 copies)
Slide 21Headstone in Tangipahoa Cemetery of Rhoda Holly Singleton Mixon known as Granny Mixon, founder of the Village of Tangipahoa. Dates on headstone are May 5, 1773-February 1, 1874. (2 copies)
The Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery is located approximately ½ miles north of Tangipahoa, Louisiana to the right of Highway 51. The cemetery contains the graves of over 400 soldiers who died while stationed at Camp Moore during the Civil War. Only one hundred plus graves are marked and only one has been identified. Most of the soldiers died not from wounds received in battle, but from an outbreak of measles in the crowded camp. The cemetery is located next to Camp Moore Museum which like the cemetery is administered by the State of Louisiana.
Slide 22Historical marker on Camp Moore located outside the entrance of Camp Moore Commemorative Area. (2 copies)
Slide 23Old entrance to Camp Moore. Log cabin in background is replica of old U. D. C. meeting house. Commemorative cemetery markers are in fore and background.
Slide 24Camp Moore Cemetery Commemorative Marker.
Slide 25Camp Moore Cemetery Commemorative Marker.
Slide 26Entrance to Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery grounds.
Slide 27Side view of United Daughters of the Confederacy monument located in the Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery.