Historic Places of the Florida Parishes

Historic Places of the Florida Parishes


Photo Collection


HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

1 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Baton Rouge Water Works Standpipe. Located at 1313 Lafayette St. Owned by Baton Rouge Water Works Company.

2 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

2A 3/83 3½ x 3½ 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of the Old State Capitol taken front the front.

3 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W Print 35mm B&W

3A 3/83 3½ x 3½ 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Long distance view of the side of the Old State Capitol taken through a water fountain

4 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W Print 35mm B&W

one of the windows of the Old State Capitol; also showing an eagle sculpture on the fence around the Capitol.

5 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Stained-glass window at the top of the Old State Capitol.

6 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Historic Plaque at the Old State Capitol.

7 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

eagle sculpture on the fence around the Old State Capitol with the top part of the Capitol in the background.

8 3/8 11 x 14 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Full front view of the New State Capitol. (IN OVERSIZE PHOTO FILE CABINET)

9 3/83 11 x 14 2 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Top of the New State Capitol through the trees. (IN OVERSIZE PHOTO FILE CABINET)

10 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Scene of the Pentagon Barracks. Located on Riverside Mall (3rd Street).

11 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

8 x 10 2 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Florence Coffee House at 130 Main St. Owned by Dr. and Mrs James A. Thom III.

12 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W Print 35mm B&W

Historic Plaque in front of the Lafayette Buildings (Also called Tessier Buildings). Located at 324, 346, and 348 Lafayette Street. Owned by Jules F. and Frances L. Landry, 348 Lafayette St.

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

13 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Picture of the Lafayette Buildings (Also called Tessier Buildings). Located at 324, 346, and 348 Lafayette Street. Owned by Jules F. and Frances L. Landry, 348 Lafayette St.

14 3/83 8 x 10 3 B&W print 35mm B&W

Old Governor’s Mansion located at 502 North Blvd.

15 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another view of the Old Louisiana Governor’s Mansion located at 502 North Blvd.

16 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Picture of Old Post Office. Located at 355 North Blvd

16A 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A house located in Beaureguard Town section of Baton Rouge, La.

17 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of the Magnolia Mound Plantation House located at 2161 Nicholson Drive

18 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Picture of the kitchen at Magnolia Mound Plantation House located at 2161 Nicholson Drive

19 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the backside of the kitchen at Magnolia Mound Plantation House located at 2161 Nicholson. Side of Magnolia Mound Plantation can be seen at right of the picture

20 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

House sitting in the yard of the Magnolia Mound Plantation House located at 2161 Nicholson Drive.

21 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Corn crib sitting in the yard of the Magnolia Mound Plantation House at 2161 Nicholson Drive

22 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Cast iron pot sitting in the yard of the Magnolia Mound Plantation House at 2161 Nicholson Drive.

23 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

The Hart House located at the northern terminus of Iowa Street

24 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Mount Hope Plantation House at 8151 Highland Road, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Dease, Jr.

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

25 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of Avondale Plantation, circa 1830. It was moved to its present location in 1979 by Mr and Mrs. Bob Jordan from Baton Rouge and restored. David D’Armond and his wife Elizabeth constructed the house in the raised cottage Greek Revival style with a high pitched roof and simple finish work. They sold it in the late 1800s to David W. Pipes, owner of nearby Beachgrove. He bought it for his son, who developed it into an 1800 acre cotton plantation, which he named Avondale.

26 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

27 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of Avondale Plantation, circa 1830.

28 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

A long distance view of the front of Avondale Plantation.

29 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Close-up view of the Avondale Plantation.

30 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

31 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Views of Lawyer’s Row located on Liberty St.

32 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

View of the East Feliciana Parish Courthouse.

33 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Brame-Bennet House located at 227 South Baton Rouge St., owned by Mrs. William T. Bennett. In the year 1825, the Brame-Bennett House was erected on a prominent thoroughfare in the town. The house is an example of Greek Temple architecture adapted to a residence. It is believed to have been built by the Killian Family.

34 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Side front view of Asphodel Plantation located 6 miles south of Jackson on Highway 68, owned by Robert Emmet and Marcelle Reese Couhig. Built in the Greek Revival style in 1833 by Benjamin Kendrick with slave labor.

35 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Rear view of Asphodel Plantation

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

36 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Close-up view of the rear stairway of Asphodel Plantation

37 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Glenco Plantation, original name. Also called the Thompson House and Westerfields. Located on Highway 68 near Jackson owned by W. J. Westerfield

38 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

The center Building of East Louisiana State Hospital, two miles east of Jackson on Highway 10

39 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Centenary College, the College of Louisiana located on College Street. Established in 1825 by the state, it operated as a boys school for about 20 years but finally gave up its charter in 1845. Judge Edward McGhee of Woodville, MS purchased it and founded Centenary College for the Methodist. It prospered through the 1850s. The remaining structure is the west dormitory

40 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Feliciana Courthouse (1816-1824). In active use until parish divided into East and West Feliciana in February, 1824

41 3/83 8 x 10 3 B&W print 35mm B&W

11 x 14 1 B&W print (IN OVERSIZE PHOTO FILE

CABINET)

View of the Carter Plantation located at the dead end of La. State Highway 1038, Springfield, La.

42 3/83 8 x 10 3 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the Macedonia Baptist Church located 3 miles north on LA 1036 from LA 442, Holden, La.

43 3/83 8 x 10 3 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the interior of the Macedonia Baptist Church

44 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Old St. Helena Parish Jail, adjacent to the courthouse square.

45 3/83 8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Greensburg Land Office located on the courthouse square

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

46 3/83 8 x 10 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Morel-Nott House in Mandeville on the Lakefront, owned by Bob Hanisee, 2627 Lakeshore Drive

47 3/83 8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Abita Springs Park Pavillion located at the end of Main Street

48 3/83 8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Longbranch Hotel Complex, Abita Springs, La.

49 3/83 8 x 10 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Sunny Brook located on Highway 21, Covington, La. owned by William J Gibert

50 3/83 8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Christ Episcopal Church located at 120 N. Mew Hampshire St., Covington. A full view of the Church

51 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Close-up of the Historic Plaque in front of Christ Episcopal Church. Built in 1846 by Jonathan Arthur of London for descendants of English Settlers in British West Florida. Consecrated by Bishop Leonidas K. Polk, April 11, 1847. Christ Church is the oldest public building being used in Covington

52 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Close-up of the door and windows of Christ Episcopal Church, Covington, La.

53 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side view of the Collinswood School Museum, Ponchatoula, La.

54 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the Country Market in Ponchatoula, La.

55 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

3/83 8 x 10 1 B&W print

Another view of the Country Market in Ponchatoula, La.

56 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene in the Ponchatoula Historic District

57 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

3/83 8 x 10 1 B&W print

A scene in the Independence Historic District

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

58 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Picture of the Kluchin’s Faded Rose Antique Store, Independence, La.

59 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of two stores in the Independence Historic District.

60 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Picture of the remodeled depot in Independence, La.

61 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of some businesses in the Independence Historic District.

62 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of Greenlawn located at 200 E. Chestmut Street, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph H. Simpson

63 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of the McGehee House. Full front view.

64 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A full view of the Stevenson House in Hammond, La.

65 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side front view of the Arcola Presbyterian Church

66 3/83 8½ x 12 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of the Camp Moore Confederate Museum (IN OVERSIZE PHOTO FILE CABINET)

67 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full front view of the Old Dormitory of Tangipahoa Parish Training School, owned by Fochia V. Wilson

68 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A full front view of Green Shutters House

69 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene at the corner of Cate and Thomas Streets

70 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the WFPR Building

71 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Street scene of the Hammond Historical District showing the Dollar General Stores

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

72 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A picture of the Columbia Theatre on Thomas Street

72A 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

3/83 8 x 20 1 B&W print

A scene of the Morrison Building on Thomas Street

73 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

11 x 14 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A sidewalk scene in the Hammond Historic District

74 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the Sylvest Cabin at Mile Branch Settlement through a fence. A log cabin built in 1880-81.

75 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side front view of the Sylvest Cabin at Mile Branch Settlement. It was built in 1880-81.

76 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Picture of the front steps of the Sylvest Cabin at Mile Branch Settlement.

77 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of the porch on the Sylvest Cabin

78 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of a rocking chair in the Sylvest Cabin

79 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of the fireplace in the Sylvest Cabin

80 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another scene of a rocking chair in the Sylvest cabin.

81 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another side front view of the Sylvest Cabin

82 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

An indoor scene of the Sylvest Cabin

83 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side view of the George and Martha Knight Log Cabin at Mile Branch Settlement.

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

84 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another side front view of the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement.

85 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full front view of the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement.

86 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

An indoor scene of the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement.

87 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another indoor scene of the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement.

88 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another indoor scene of the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement

89 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of a rocking chair in the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement

90 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another side front view of the George and Martha Knight log cabin at Mile Branch Settlement

91 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

An overall scene of Mile Branch Settlement

92 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

View of the Sylvest Cabin with the Bankston General Store on right of picture

93 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A full front view of the Half Moon Bluff Baptist Church

94 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full front view of the Babington House

95 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Side front view of the Babington house

96 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Long distance view of the Babington House

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

97 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Close up view of the front entrance of the Babington House

98 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Indoor scene of the Babington House

99 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of a bed in the Babington House

100 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Side view of the Robert D. Magee Cabin owned by Dr. J Larry Crain

101 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full front view of the Robert D. Magee Cabin owned by Dr. J. Larry Crain.

102 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the land looking out of the front door of the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

103 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the rear of the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

104 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of a bed and a night table in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

105 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of one of the fireplaces in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

106 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another scene of one of the fireplaces in the Robert D. Magee Cabin. The fireplace has two rocking chairs sitting before it.

107 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another scene of a bed and a night table in the Robert D. Magee Cabin

108 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the other fireplace with two rocking chairs in front of it at the Robert D. Magee Cabin

109 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

8 x 10 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the top of the desk in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

110 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another scene of the top of the desk in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

111 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the pump organ in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

112 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of another bed in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

113 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another scene of one of the fire places in the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

114 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A scene of the spinning wheel in the Robert D Magee Cabin.

115 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of a rocking chair on the porch of the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

116 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the front porch of the Robert D. Magee Cabin.

117 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of the Bogalusa Railroad Station located at 400 Austin St., owned by Charles J. Cassidy

118 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of the Bogalusa Railroad Station

119 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another full view of the Bogalusa Railroad Station

120 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Side angle view of the Bogalusa City Hall located at 214 Arkans Hall Ave.

121 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Front view of the Bogalusa City Hall

122 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Close up view of the front door of the Bogalusa City Hall

123 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

124 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the Chandelier in the Bogalusa City Hall

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

125 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

View of the front of the courtroom in the Bogalusa City Hall

126 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another view of the front of the Bogalusa City Hall

127 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

View of the back of the courtroom in the Bogalusa City Hall

128 3/83 3 x 5 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another view of the front of the court room in the Bogalusa City Hall

129 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

The sign at Oakley Plantation House built in 1799, located on Highway 965, 4½ miles southeast of St. Francisville, La.

130 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of the Oakley Plantation Barn.

131 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of a peacock sitting on a wagon in the Oakley Plantation Barn.

132 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Anther view of a peacock sitting on a wagon in the Oakley Plantation Farm.

133 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A picture of some saddles in the barn at the Oakley Plantation.

134 3/38 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Scene of the sugar cane grinder and kitchen at the Oakley Plantation.

135 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

View of the Oaks Plantation through the oak trees located on U.S. 61 , owned by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Irwin Daniel III.

136 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Side front view of the Cottage Plantation located on Cottage Lane off of U.S. 61 north of St. Francisville, La. Owned by Mr. & Mrs. J. E. Brown.

137 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another side front view of the Cottage Plantation

HISTORIC PLACES OF THE FLORIDA PARISHES-Continued

Pix # Date of Pix Size of Pix No. of Pix Kind of image Negative

138 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Sign at entrance of the Cottage Plantation.

139 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Sign at entrance to the Myrtles Plantation. Located on U.S. 61 in St. Francisville owned by Mr. and owned by Mr. and Mrs. James Myers.

140 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Long Distance side view of the Myrtles Plantation.

141 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side angle view of the front of the Myrtles Plantation.

142 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side view of the Myrtles Plantation.

143 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side front view of the Grace Episcopal Church located at 510 Ferdinand Street.

144 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Another side view of the Grace Episcopal Church.

145 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

Full view of the Altar of Grace of Grace Episcopal Church.

146 3/83 5 x 7 2 B&W print 35mm B&W

A view of one of the stained glass windows in the Grace Episcopal Church.

147 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

A side front view of the Bank of Commerce and Trust Company, established in 1915. Its in the St. Francisville Historic District.

148 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

Mercy Hall, Brooks-Mathews House, circa 1809, in the Historic District of St. Francisville, La.

149 3/83 5 x 7 1 B&W print 35mm B&W

3/83 11 x 14 1 B&W print (IN OVERSIZE PHOTO FILE

CABINET)

View of the Methodist-Episcopal Church South, established 1844, present Sanctuary 1899 from original Bayou Sara Church.



CONTACT USCAMPUS MAPDIRECTORIES |  GIVING  | MOODLELEONETWEBMAIL