TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1983
January Original Oaks Hotel built in 1893
by Colonel H. W., Robinson and destroyed by fire on October 12,
February Amite Court House, 1883.
MarchUpper left-Ponchatoula Depot showing Alford Hotel, circa 1910, before depot was relocated to present location. Lower left-Main Street, Ponchatoula looking west, 1923. Above-"Old Steel Bridge" across the Tangipahoa River, east of Ponchatoula.
AprilUpper left-Loading strawberries at old Hammond Depot at corner of Thomas and Cate Street in 1910. Lower left-Picking berries near Hammond. Above-Strawberry labels applied to crates after being loaded in Express Cars.
MayUpper left-Manchac Depot, 1903. Upper right-Sailboat on the lake near Manchac, circa 1900. Bottom right-Buckhorn Club and Bradley's Camp on North Pass.
June Ponchatoula's Famous Cypress Mills: F. B. Williams Cypress Company (center) and Joseph Rathborne Lumber Company (later Louisiana Cypress Lumber Company) (right)
JulyUpper leftHammond aviation pioneer, Glynne M. Jones (later Brigadier General) on early landing area known as Tobin Field south of Town & Country Plaza, circa 1928. Lower left-Hammond Army Air Field, June 1945. Above-Southeastern Louisiana College Civil Pilot Training Program in the fall of 1940 on the grass strip at present airport site.
AugustNatalbany Lumber Company-mail mill, circa 1912.
SeptemberAerial view of Southeastern Louisiana College, circa 1937, showing McGehee Hall, the old Science Building, the wooden gym and the first football field (where Mims Hall and Southeastern Hall now stand).
OctoberKentwood, Greensburg, and South Western narrow gauge log train at the depot (near the Amos Kent Lumber and Brick Company mill) south of Kentwood.
NovemberFall harvest at Loranger.
DecemberKidder Hotel (on present post office site) during the snow of 1895.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1984
JanuarySecond Oaks Hotel, built by Col.
Henry W. Robinson after the original hotel burned in 1905.
FebruaryUpper left-Log cut by Banner Lumber Company, Kentwood, La. for the Tennessee Centennial in 1896. Lower left-The narrow-gauge Kentwood & Eastern Railroad operated from 1892-1918 from Kentwood through Spring Creek, Mt. Hermon, and Warnerton to Hackley in Washington Parish. Above-Well at the Banner Lumber Company, circa 1898.
MarchWorld War I Parade on East Thomas Street in Hammond.
AprilUpper left-Raking and hauling straw for strawberries fields. Lower left-Mulching the strawberry plants. Above-Packing berries for shipment.
MayPond with bridges and Garden located in Cate Square.
JuneKidder Hotel (on present post office site) originally Cate's Shoe Factory, shortly after Civil War.
JulyPresident McKinley visits Hammond, circa 1901. Scene of his train.
AugustTop-East Railroad Avenue, Amite City, La., prior to the 1908 tornado. Center-Power House, Gullett Gin Company. Bottom-Railroad Park and West Railroad Avenue, Amite City, prior to the 1908 tornado.
SeptemberSteamboat Florine of the Brakenridge Railway & Navigation Company on Natalbany River at Springfield (just north of present Highway 22 bridge).
OctoberUpper-Cate's Sawmill, corner of S. Cate and
Coleman Avenue, prior to the turn of the century. Lower-View of
Cate's Brickyard (now Zemurray Park) showing locomotive turntable.
November"Miss-Lou" which operated daily round-trip from Jackson, Mississippi to New Orleans, shown loading New Orleans-bound shoppers at the Ponchatoula Depot.
DecemberOriginal Oaks Hotel, circa 1895 showing snow on the ground.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1985
JanuaryA view down West Thomas Street from
the Illinois Central Railroad Crossing. To the right is the Red
Gables Building which at the time of the photograph contained a
restaurant operated by E. Warren Kidder. In later years it housed a
grocery and strawberry sales agency, the Hammond Building and Loan
Association and an insurance agency, and the Western Union
FebruaryFire of July 24, 1896. The devastating fire destroyed buildings along East Railroad Avenue and the north and south sides of East Thomas Street. This fire led to the first Building Code and the organization of the Hammond Volunteer Fire Department. Top-View to the north from East Thomas Street. Lower left-View to the south from East Thomas Street. It has Watson & Libby Dry Good, Clothing on a building.
MarchLeft-The Hammond Oil and Development Co., organized in 1901 by many of the area's leading citizens, drilled for oil adjacent to the Illinois Central right-of-way, south of the Old Covington Highway. Upon reaching a depth of 2200 feet, water of such great pressure was struck that the oil under-taking was abandoned. Known as the "Geyser Well," the flow was 576,000 gallons daily at a pressure of 85 pounds per square inch. Right-The Geyser water was so pure that the Geyser Water Co. was organized to sell the product. For many years, the Illinois Central Railroad highly advertised the use of the Hammond Geyser water in the dining cars of all its passenger trains. The well can still be seen near the northwest corner of the Ross & Wallace Bag Co. warehouse.
AprilThe courtyard of the Oaks Hotel, which faced Railroad Avenue. The statue of "Mercury" was the center of attraction.
MayAbove-The Baltzell Block from the corner of Thomas and Cypress Streets. One of the signs on the second floor on Cypress Street advertised the Hammond Business College. The block also contained the Baltzell Opera House and a skating rink. Left-The Baltzell Block from the corner of Cypress and Morris Streets. The upstairs housed the Hammond Opera Company, operated by T. Sumner Baltzell. The first floor front is of a unique cast iron manufactured by Southern Foundry Co. of Owensboro, Kentucky.
JuneAn early view of the St. James Hotel, corner of Thomas and Cherry Streets. It was previously known as Southern Hotel and as the Newport Hotel. There are people standing on the roof and the porches and two horse and buggies in front.
JulyA Baton Rouge bound passenger train on
the Baton Rouge, Hammond and Eastern Railroad, commonly referred to
as the "Pea Vine," which began service on February 26, 1908. Note
that the brick sidewalk extended west, just north of the Grace
Memorial Episcopal Cemetery.
AugustThe Leonard W. Yokum Service Station and Taxi Service at the corner of Thomas and Oak Streets. The American Railway Express delivery truck is in the foreground.
SeptemberUpper left-The "new" Hammond High School, in 1893, at the time of the purchase of the land to construct this building, Morris Avenue was known as Joseph Street. Annie Eastman High School was later constructed on this block on West Morris Avenue. Lower left-The fifth grade classroom of Miss Zylpha Eastman in the Old Hammond wooden school, decorated for "Parents Day." Above-Hammond's early school teachers. Standing from left: Miss Zylpha Eastman, Hattie Williams, Annie Eastman, and Lizzie Walker. Seated: Ida Van Patten, Mr. Crandall, and Lucy Brazelman.
OctoberLeft-An early view of the famous Hammond Oak in the Peter Hammond Cemetery located on East Charles Street. Below-"Bankers' Row." A view of East Charles Street from its intersection with North Chestnut. The original home of Peter Hammond was situated near the spot where this photograph was taken and his blacksmith shop was under the live oak tree at the far right of this photograph.
NovemberUpper right-The first airplane flight at Hammond took place in 1916 from the Race Track at the Old Fairgrounds, situated just southwest of the present SLU baseball diamond. The Tangipahoa Parish Fair held at that site became so popular that a New Fairgrounds was constructed in 1921. Upper left-An aerial view of the New Fairgrounds, located between West Thomas Street and West Church Street. Shown are the towered-entrance, the Exhibition Hall, the Race Track and Grandstand, and the Livestock Pavillion and Silo. Lower left-The carnival section of the Tangipahoa Parish Fair at the new Fairgrounds.
DecemberA snow scene on East Thomas Street during the time at the Central Drug Store was located on the south side of the street. Note the ornate clock of the Ozone Drug Store at the corner of Cypress and Thomas streets.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1986
JanuaryAerial view of Southeastern Louisiana
College showing McGehee Hall, the old Science Building, the wooden
gym and the first football field (where Mims and Southeastern Halls
now stand). Circa 1937.
FebruaryThe Old Snack Bar, located near Friendship Oak, was a favorite gathering spot for students. Here they could buy a Coke and a hamburger for a dime! Circa 1929.
MarchUpper left-Purchased in 1927, the Hunter Leake estate provided much needed facilities for Hammond Junior College (on July 12, 1928, the legislature adopted a resolution to change the name to Southeastern Louisiana College and made it part of the state education system). The Leake residence became the first women's dormitory with Mrs. Sims as matron. Above-Also part of the Leake estate, a remodeled two-story servants quarters housed classrooms, laboratories and the library. This photograph shows it after two wings were added. The original building is on the left. Left-The old wooden gym, built in 1932, housed many social and physical education activities. Although a new men's gymnasium was built in 1940, the old wooden gym remained until it was destroyed by fire in December 1969.
AprilLucius McGehee Hall (1934), named in honor of Dr. Lucius McGehee who was instrumental in the founding of Hammond Junior College, was the first permanent brick building on campus. Built as an administration-classroom building, it has served many functions over the years, including use of the second floor as the school library from 1935-1940. McGehee Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places during the 1984-85 session. Left-A prominent and beloved physician, civic leader and staunch supporter of Southeastern from its inception, Dr. McGehee was honored on the day of his funeral by a unanimous vote of the faculty and student body to name the first permanent building on campus for the man who had fought the legislature to get the funding to build it.
MayMembers of the Yellow Jacket Club at
McGehee Hall, circa 1936. Founded in 1929 as Southeastern's first
soroity, the name was later changed to Kappa Rho (1939) and in 1963
became the AOP soroity that is still on campus today. Bottom Row,
L-R, (Married names underlined): Mary Helen Wells, Shirley Torrence
Bardwell, Virginia Robichaux Addison, Sammy Hagg Funderburk,
Lucille Kemp Kentzel, Lucia Jane Travis Barker, Martha Ann Pantall
Taylor, Lucile Cope Tyler, Margaret Bachledor, Mrs. Hugh (Irene) D.
Smith (Sponsor), Marion Wendelken Corkern and Louise Haight
Hangate. Second Row, L-R: Dorothy Tucker, Miriam Tucker, Arva
Lanell Kophler, Louise Bell Hupperich, Rebecca Pemble Israel
Baxter, Catherine Dufreche Bernard, Alice Maud Kerrigan McCausland,
Wilta Fontenot Krieger, Betty Sellers Haight, Katherine Alice Rand
Gully and Eleanor Kent. Third Row, L-R: Pearl Kemp, Gloria Nilson,
Yvonne Bouchereau, Dorothy Forshag Shilling, Olga Morgan, Dorothy
Cooper Robinson, Mary Jeffs McColloch, and Margaret Seale Miller.
JuneLeft-Linus A. Sims Memorial Library (now Clark Hall), named in honor of the College's first president and the driving force behind the founding of Hammond Junior College, was the first permanent library. Prior to this time the library occupied many places including a room at Hammond High School (1925), the Old Science Building (1927-1935) and the second floor of McGehee Hall from 1935-1940 when this library was completed. Below-Sims (president 1925-1933) saw a great need for an institution of higher learning in Hammond and fought many to get the college founded. He promoted its growth fiercely during his presidency and gained the support of many citizens to establish the independent campus that was the beginning of the thriving university that stands today.
JulyOver the years, many spots on campus have been popular gathering places for students to talk, laugh and relax from the academic routine. Top left-The most famous (and still standing) the Friendship Oak, immediately became a popular spot when Southeastern moved to the permanent campus in 1927. The famous snack Bar was located here to help make the meeting place more enjoyable. Well over 100 years old, the tree stands as a "living symbol of Southeastern today." Top right-The Sundial which graced the front lawn of the Music and Dramatic Arts Building was a favorite spot of many students while walking across campus. Bottom right-The Snack Bar, located between the Stadium and the War Memorial Student Union, was a place to relax, refresh and meet friends between classes. Seniors of 1953.
AugustTop-Southeastern Louisiana College's first football team, circa 1929. Bottom right-Early Cheerleaders, circa 1932. L-R: Frances Herbert Rownd; Nolan "Dudy" Baker; Caroyl "Toby" Caulfield White.
SeptemberStrawberry Stadium, Circa 1937. Built with Governor Richard Leche's support, it was officially dedicated on September 17, 1937. The facility provided a permanent playing field for the football team (field was formerly located where Mims and Southeastern Halls now stand) and combined the stadium facility with a men's dormitory, complete with training rooms, social and games rooms, cafeteria and athletic offices. It later became part of the Student Center when the War Memorial Student Union was built adjacent to it in 1950.
OctoberAbove left-The Green Jackets (group who performed at games much like today's Lionettes) prepare for homecoming 1950. Above middle-Home Economics Cooking Class, 1950-51. Above right-Homecoming Ball, in the new War Memorial Student Union, 1950. BottomAmidst all the fun, time for study in the main reading room at Linus Sims Memorial Library, 1951.
NovemberLeft-War Memorial Student Union, built in 1950 in memory of the twenty-nine Southeastern students who died in World War II. (Now houses the campus bookstore). Below-Interior of War Memorial Student Center (1951) served as a social center for students' dances and celebrations. Adjacent to the stadium, this was the hub of student activity providing post office and bookstore facilities, as well as the popular snack bar.
DecemberTemporary Buildings-Post World War
II. A tremendous increase in enrollment at the end of World War II
brought the "temporary buildings" to Southeastern. Lower left-The
"G" Buildings included: classrooms, infirmary, laundry, workshop
and offices (located approximately where the parking lot between
the library and the administration building is today.) Above-The
"Chow Hall" affectionately nicknamed by the many veterans present
on campus. (located approximately where the library is today.)
Lower right-The "Country Club," a surplus metal military barracks
relocated to campus to house male freshmen, later became part of
the present maintenance facility as a warehouse and was recently
Back PageAerial view of present Southeastern Louisiana University (1984) campus. There is also a highlighted history of Southeastern
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1987
JanuaryHammond Lumber Company Mill and Log
Pond, located on the east side of the Illinois Central Railroad
tracks directly across from the present SLU tennis courts. Started
by the June Brothers, the mill was purchased by John B. Nalty and
operated by him and sons until all timber holdings were cut out in
FebruaryTop left-Logging Camp of the Hammond Lumber Company at Loraine, Louisiana situated on the Baton Rouge, Hammond & Eastern railroad near the St. Tammany parish line, it was named for Lorraine Nalty, daughter of William H. Nalty, the company manager. During World War I, it was a hub of timber activity as the mill filled many wartime orders. Top rightHammond Lumber Company train carrying piling supplied to the government for use in the construction of the Panama Canal. Bottom left-Commissary of the Hammond Lumber Company at Loraine, Louisiana. MarchAbove-Riechert Store and Hall in Roseland taken after the 1909 hurricane. Originally built around 1890, the building housed the grocery, a millinery, the post office, and several other establishments, as well as the Town Hall. The building still stands in Roseland today, the site of The Country Store Restaurant. Right-Roseland School, 1911. Although there have been changes made to the building, it still stands on Tangipahoa Street in Roseland. Over the years it also housed the Town Hall and is the present site of the Roseland branch of the Tangipahoa Parish library.
AprilOriginal Pierson-Butler Store, early 1900s. Located on Pine Street in Ponchatoula, the store owned and operated by Thomas Jefferson Butler and his son-in-law, Allen B. Pierson. The original building was later moved into Pine Street while the second Pierson-Butler store was under construction. When the new brick store was completed in 1912, the wooden building was moved to a new location for apartments.
MayEarly strawberry activity at the Amite Depot.
JuneRosaryville near Ponchatoula, was originally established by the Benedictine Fathers in the 1880s as a seminary called "Gessen." Using the cypress and pine on the land, the Fathers constructed the seminary buildings themselves. Later they sold the property to the Spanish Dominican Fathers who renovated the buildings and renamed the site, Rosaryville. In 1939 it became the first permanent novitiate of the Dominican Sisters and is still in their possession today.
JulyRoseland Depot and Packing Shed, circa 1900.
AugustIllinois Central Railroad Park, adjacent to the main line, was the showplace of Hammond for many years.
SeptemberThe Packwood House, Ponchatoula,
was located on the south side of the 100 block of East Pine Street.
When Thomas Jefferson Butler and Allen B. Pierson and their
families moved to Ponchatoula in 1901, they stayed there and Mrs.
Butler and her daughter, Mrs. Pierson, began operating the hotel.
The Packwood was destroyed by fire on February 13, 1907.
OctoberLouisiana Cypress Lumber Company logging train leaving the Manchac swamp bound for the mill at Ponchatoula.
NovemberView down West Thomas Street in the 1920s, showing the newly constructed Guess & Kent Drugstore and the Perrone Building.
DecemberFive scene of Natalbany in its heydaytwo streets, school, hotel, lumber mill.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1988
JanuaryAn early view of the famous Hammond
Oak in the Peter Hammond Cemetery located on East Charles Street.
FebruaryEarly view of West Pine Street showing the Ponchatoula Catholic Church.
MarchTop left-Lawn tennis in the west gardens of the first Oaks Hotel. Cate Square is visible in the background. Bottom left-Croquet on the lawn of the second Oaks Hotel. The Annex is visible in the right background. Top right-The Stanicola Band, of the Standard Oil Company in Baton Rouge, holds a concert on the south lawn of the second Oaks Hotel.
AprilTwo early street scenes of Kentwood in
the days when it was the location of the Amos Kent Lumber &
Brick Co. Ltd. and the giant Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company.
MayNorth-bound Illinois Central freight train with 110 cars is captured by C. W. Witbeck as it roars past the Tickfaw depot on March 2, 1954, prior to environmental protection laws regulating smoke emissions.
JuneTop left-Egypta Hall, 1885. Still standing today, it was originally built by the Chapin family as their family home. They later advertised and let rooms as a "summer resort" for Northerners escaping harsh winters. Bottom right-Sunnyside, September 1897. Located between Roseland and Arcola, Sunnyside was originally built in 1859. Pictured here is the Harrall family of New Orleans, who purchased the house as a second home. Extensively remodeled by the Blanchard family, it still stands in its beautiful country setting.
JulyThe "new" Pierson-Butler Store in Ponchatoula was operated by Thomas Jefferson Butler and Ruben Allen Pierson. Completed in 1911, the brick, L-shaped building fronted both Pine Street and Southeast Railroad Avenue. At the corner of the building, Pierson operated the Ponchatoula Bank and Trust which he later sold in 1914 to Andrew Edwards.
AugustTop-View of the extension of East Charles Street from its intersection with North Chestnut, known as "Bankers Row" for the many bankers who coincidentally lived on the block over the years. Bottom-The Peston Residence on East Charles Street was originally built around 1906-1907 by E. V. Preston, a lumberman and native of Michigan. Originally with the Isabella Lumber Company and the Banner Lumber Company, he later became affiliated with the Ruddock Cypress Company Ltd., when the house was completed. The house later became the home of Nathaniel Kent who had married Zoe May Preston. The home is still owned by descendants of Mr. Preston.
SeptemberTop-Early store of Benjamin Mann Morrison on the corner of Thomas and Cypress Streets. The large building in the right background was known as the "Andrews House," a boarding home on the corner of Charles and Cherry Streets. Bottom-Feed & Seed Warehouse of B. M. Morrison which was located on North Cherry Street in the approximate location of Fire Station #2.
OctoberTwo view of new store of B. M.
Morrison on the corner of Thomas and Cypress Streets, which was
constructed in 1904 after the original store burned. Top-store
during construction. Bottom-store completed.
NovemberThe Hammond Planting and Manufacturing Company, situated on Northeast Railroad Avenue, opposite the present Depot.
DecemberThe Hammond Volunteer Fire Department's new fire station on South Oak Street [T. W. Cate Fire Company No. 1]. Standing at left is Chief, C. C. Carter, second from left Assistant Chief, Norman Bowers and to the far right in citizen's clothing, Superintendent of Police Leon Ford. Other officers of the department shown are: Captain, Jack Wiggins, Charles Torrence, and Bob Torrence.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1989
JanuaryTrain time at the old Hammond Depot.
Located on the east side of the tracks between Thomas and Charles
Streets, it provided both passenger and freight service until the
present brick structure was built in 1912. After the new Union
Depot was completed to serve both the Illinois Central and the
Baton Rouge & Eastern Railroads, this building was converted to
a freight depot. It was moved in 1923 to the 300 block of Southeast
Railroad Avenue and enlarged. Though it closed in 1962, the
building remains in existence today.
FebruaryEarly photograph of the Studebaker Car Agency, later the Ford dealership, located in the new Cate building on the corner of Thomas at Oak Street. The adjacent building to the west was still under construction. The man at the gas pump in the right foreground is on Thomas Street.
MarchTop left-A view of the south side of the 200 block of East Thomas Street, showing the Brooks Hardware Store, the Adams Shoe Factory and the Thomas Furniture Store & Undertaking Parlor. Bottom Left-Interior of the Brooks Hardware Store owned by Bently H. Brooks of Paris, Texas, at the site later occupied by Forbes Furniture. It was a full service, "old tyme" hardware store carrying all types of hardware, farm equipment was stored in the tin warehouse in the alley behind the store. Bottom right-Interior of the Adams Shoe Factory. Mr. Adams is on the left, Harry M. Herbert is standing in the center foreground and Mr. Adams, Sr. is seated on the right.
AprilThe "Crimson Flyer," express strawberry train from the Strawberry Belt to points north, was named by the late George B. Campbell, long-time editor of the Hammond Vindicator. It became nationally known for its fast schedule and was given priority over all passenger trains, except the "Panama Limited," to enable it to rush the perishable strawberries to their destinations.
MayHammond High School students parade on West Thomas Street for a new school. The building barely visible in the left portion of the photographer was the Kings Daughters Rest Room at the corner of Thomas and Oak Streets. The Red Gables Building, at the corner of Thomas Street and Northwest Railroad Avenue, is in the center foreground.
JuneBottom Left-The Boos Building, at the corner of Thomas Street and East Railroad Avenue, housed the Corner Drug Store, Daniel I. Setton, proprietor; Boos Brothers Barber Shop; G. W. Crook, Ice Cream, Candy, Cigars and Tobacco; Wm. Boos Sr., Real Estate; Dr. Jno. D. Killian, Dentist; Sentell & Harvard, Attorneys; the American Express Company, O. Y. Gallup, agent; and the Cumberland Telephone and Telegraph Company, Edwin Gookin, manager. The phone lines extend from the telephone pole on Thomas Street to the telephone exchange through the second story window. Top right-Interior view of the Telephone Exchange on the second floor of the Boos Building.
JulyBottom Left-Hammond Hardware &
Supply Company, Ltd., circa 1912. Located at 119 South Cypress
Street, it was purchased in 1912 by Chum Anderson, who served as
its president. Dr. S. S. Anderson, his brother, was vice president
and Mrs. C. R. Anderson served as secretary-treasurer. Top
right-Interior of the Hammond Hardware & Supply Company,
showing from left to right: Mr. Walker, a store clerk; C. R. "Chum"
Anderson, president, and Dick Whitaker, a store clerk and
brother-in-law of Mr. Anderson.
AugustTop left and top right-Scenes of the new Central Drug Store building located on the corner of Thomas and Cypress Streets. Originally opened about 1896, Dr. J. L. Robinson's Central Drugs was located on the south side of Thomas Street. It was purchased by Rol D. Fellows and his partner, Mr. E. S. Wiseman, both from Michigan, about 1910 and the name shortened to Central Drug Store and moved to its present location. Donald K. Fellows took over the store operation in 1948 and his son, Don Jr., took over in 1975. Bottom left-Interior of the Central Drug Store.
SeptemberThe Bank of Hammond and the Frank Neelis Warehouse located in the 100 block of Southeast Railroad Avenue. Both of these buildings were destroyed in the disastrous fire of July 24, 1896, that consumed most of two business blocks. The Bank of Hammond was incorporated on October 30, 1894. Early officers were: Frank E. Neelis, president, and Jno. E. Wilcombe, C. E. Cate, L. I. Way, and D. M. Durkee, directors.
OctoberHammond Army Air Field Award Ceremony, June 12, 1945, at which the Hammond Gunnery School, under the command of Major Edward T. White, was recognized for excellence in aerial gunnery and rocket training.
NovemberTop left-View from the north of the original Oaks Hotel built in 1893 by Colonel Henry W. Robinson of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It was a winter haven for many northern visitors and a summer haven for many New Orleanians. Destroyed by fire on October 12, 1905, Colonel Robinson rebuilt a new masony and brick structure on the square in 1906. Top right-The dining room of the original Oaks. Bottom left-The lobby of the original Oaks.
December Top left-The "new" Hammond Union Depot was built in 1912. The passenger waiting room is used by Amtrak today. This photograph was taken by C. W. Witbeck from the top of a strawberry car on April 20, 1954. Bottom left-View up the tracks from the Depot showing the coal chute, north of town, in the left background and the railroad water tank in the right background. Both were used in the days of the steam locomotive. Ahead of the caboose are strawberry cars spotted on the express track for loading. The water column for placing water in the locomotive tenders is to the left of the fifth berry car. Bottom right-The Hammond Railroad Yards along Northeast Railroad Avenue were a hub-bub of activity during the strawberry season. Here workmen load blocks of ice, lifted by the truck-mounted elevator, into the refrigerator cars so the berries will arrive in good condition at their northern destinations.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1990
JanuaryConfectionary Store of George W. Crook and his father, Theodore I. Crook, located in the Boos Building on Thomas Street. It was known for its homemade ice cream, snowballs, and its fine stock of cigars, tobacco, candy, newspapers and magazines. Left-Standing in front of the store, from left to right are, George W. Crook, Joseph Gould, unidentified, and Dana Brook, son of George. The peanut roaster on the sidewalk was a landmark fixture of the establishment. Right-The interior of the store shows George Crook at the soda fountain amid the ware of the day.
FebruaryThough extensively remodeled several
times, this building was originally built at the corner of Thomas
and Cate Streets by the Bank of Hammond. In 1914 the bank was
reorganized as the First State Bank & Trust Company of Hammond.
It was later bought by the Hammond State Bank and reorganized once
again to form the Hammond State Bank and Trust Co.
MarchOriginally the home place of Charles Emery Cate, Cate Square has been a showplace and gathering spot for Hammond citizens since before the turn of the century. These three scenes merely reflect a portion of its beauty. Left-The pond, bridge and landscaped garden at Cate Square. Bottom left-Ladies on the bridge, from left to right: Bessie Andrews, Jessie Willis, Edna Potter, and Rose Herbert. Bottom right-Ladies basketball team enjoys a moment of leisure in Cate Square. The Oaks Hotel is in the background beyond the old brick fence which was along the Oak Street side of the Square. Miss Mertie Dameron (Mrs. J. M. Fourmy) is shown at the far right. The others are unidentified.
AprilStrawberry loading at Independence near the box manufacturing plant.
May-Logs were floated down the Tangipahoa River from logging areas to a collection point. There they were placed on log trains to be transported to the Hammond Lumber Company or were made into rafts to be towed across Lake Pontchartrain to the W. W. Carre Lumber Company.
JuneEarly Days of Dairying in Tangipahoa. The Cloverland Dairy Products Company, Inc. which had its main plant at Tangipahoa, Louisiana in the early 1920s. Specially designed rail cars containing two glass-lined insulated tanks of 2000 gallons each were constructed to transport the cooled milk from the collection and cooling plant at Tangipahoa to the creamery in New Orleans where it was pasteurized and bottled for distribution. Top-One of the special rail milk cars is shown in the siding behind the collection and cooling plant at Tangipahoa. The cars were picked up at the Tangipahoa plant by southbound passenger train No. 33 in the early afternoon and by No. 3 in the late afternoon. The empty cars were returned by late-night northbound passenger trains. Bottom-A Cloverland milk car is directly behind the locomotive of northbound local passenger train No. 24 near Fluker, Louisiana on November 2, 1940. A gold four-leaf clover, the company symbol, adorned the sides of the dark green cars.
JulyThe early passenger and freight depots at Albany, Louisiana on the Baton Rouge, Hammond & Eastern Railroad. The first train through Albany from Covington to Baton Rouge operated on February 26, 1908. There was no village of Albany until the railroad was constructed. Then people from the surrounding area moved to the spot where the new railroad crossed the old road running from Springfield to Greensburg and Natchez.
AugustSpecial guest excursions were operated by the Hammond Lumber Company over its Hammond & Eastern logging railroad. The company graciously took family and friends of mill employees, as well as local church groups, on sightseeing trips from its mill in north Hammond through the forests to the logging area in the eastern portion of the parish. Some even operated as far as Mandeville for special occasions such as baseball games via a connection with the Houlton logging railroad north of Lorraine. The photograph shows an excursion crossing their trestle over the Tangipahoa River, just east of the present intersection of Vinyard and River Roads. Obviously, this was before the day of safety engineers!
SeptemberG.H.A. Thomas Lumber Company. The mill of the G. H. A. Thomas Lumber Company was situated on the east bank of the Natalbany River near the present location of the Highway 22 bridge. Top-the G. H. A. Thomas Mill. Bottom left-The G. H. A. Thomas Commissary. Bottom rightThe G. H. A. Thomas Steamboat was used to haul finished lumber from Springfield to New Orleans, as well as to Gulf Coast shipping ports. Occasionally, it was used by Mr. Thomas for an outing for his friends and associates.
OctoberA team of oxen brings in two huge logs to the Cate Mill, located on South Cate Avenue at the site of the present A&P Store. The large wheels were used to raise the front of the logs so that they could be dragged without snagging. This photograph was taken in front of the present Goodyear Store. The Livery Stable and other buildings in the right background were all destroyed by the disastrous fire of September 8, 1895.
NovemberThe G. W. Nesom General Merchandise Store, located on the east side of the tracks, was a focal point of Tickfaw. Well-known for its wide variety of goods, including barrels of olives, wheels of cheese, fresh vegetables, canned goods and an extensive candy counter, it even sported a drug store! For thirty-five years the back of the store housed the Tickfaw Post Office with Mr. Nesom serving as Postmaster. So extensive was its inventory that the McCarroll Lumber Company and the Penna-Mich Lumber Company used it as their company store. At one time, Mr. Nesom employed 28 clerks to handle the influx of business. Mr. Nesom is pictured leaning against the post at the right of the photograph.
DecemberBaskets distributed by the Fire Department and town of Ponchatoula in the late 1920s. Shown are: Jack Hall, Fire Chief; Roland Craig, Mr. E. D. Parker, City Clerk; C. E. "Spike" Ragan, Jim Fannaly, "Pat" Cronin and William Torrance. Back row: Lawrence Parker, Ludo Pittman, Jerry King, Steve Cowan, Elwood "Little Ory" Jenkins, L. A. Lavigne, Dr. W. T. Miller, and O. P. Vitter, Sr.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1991
JanuaryThe Crescent Home, at the foot of
South Cherry Street, was a Hammond showplace recognized for its
magnificent dairy and orchard. Lyman C. Reed owned the property
from 1890 until he sold ito Alfred E. Karlton in 1896. Mr. Karlton
shipped milk, plums and other fruit to New Orleans until he was
killed in the line of duty as Constable in 1917. Top left-A close
up of the Crescent and acorn over the gate that welcomed visitors.
The significance of these have not been determined. Underneath the
symbols in small letters if the date 1893. Bottom left-An overall
view of the property showing the residence to the right, and the
dairy barn to the left. Near the house was a flow well which was
used to cook the milk prior to shipment. Mr. Karlton is shown
standing beside the horse, his children, Ethel and Frank, are
standing with their mother, Mrs. Cora Karlton. Above right-Mr.
Karlton later added a second story. The home still stands today and
is owned by Mrs. S. J. Hodges.
FebruaryA landmark of yesteryear, the original Hi-Ho Gas Station, owned by Joe and Frances Spitale, located at the intersection of Highway 51 and U. S. Highway 190 (East Thomas Street), was even better known for its 25¢ Bar-B-Que. Located in the left portion of the photograph is the ICE COLD WATERMELON sign of Joe Ford's Fruit Stand which was located under the large oaks on the northwest quadrant of the intersection.
MarchThe beautiful lagoon and bridges in the southwest portion of Cate Square are seen from a rarely shown perspective. This view is looking to the northeast and shows some of the out buildings, such as the carriage house and pigeonnaire, remaining on the property after the resident of Charles E. Cate was destroyed by fire in 1888.
AprilThe late Ken Furbos captured this wonderful night scene of the Hammond Railroad Depot in the mid 1950s. The platform and brick walkway were kept illuminated for the convenience of passengers arriving on the north bound Creole at 10:00 P.M. and the south bound City of New Orleans at 11:30 P.M. The Beanery, a popular twenty-four hour restaurant, was located in the south end of the depot. The lights of the station agent's office can be seen in the center, with the green order board signal light towering above in the front. Some of the lights in the right portion of the photograph were kerosene switch lamps which marked the position of the switches.
MayAbove left-Loranger, The Model Farm at Loranger, owned by the Genesee Lumber Company and operated by Mrs. Harriet Pyatt, was a focal point of the company's land development. Many experimental crops were planted in hopes of enticing northern farmers to relocate to this area. Right-Shown behind the artesian well is a group of prospective northern settlers touring the farm.
JuneTop-The Hammond Machine Shp of Arthur L. Way was situated on the east side of Cypress Street between Hanson and Coleman Avenues. In 1909, the shop was sold to the Diamond Iron Works LTD, owned by Frank B. Coyne, George E. Boos and George F. Smith, who continued to do all types of mechanical work, especially the repair of steam tractors such as the one shown to the left of the shop. Right-Interior of the Hammond Machine Shop.
JulyThis unique paddle wheel boat offered early sightseeing excursions on the Tangipahoa River from Lee's Landing to the Lake.
AugustThis manpowered ferry crossed the Tangipahoa River just north of the Hammond Lumber Company railroad bridge. It was located almost in line with an extension to the east of Vinyard Road.
SeptemberCrates of pure cane syrup on a horse-drawn wagon from the syrup mill of William Webster Vinyard located at the end of Vinyard Road.
OctoberTop left-The Zenobia Church Sunday School was located one mile east of the Hammond Airport on the south side of 190. Turned to face Highway 190, the building still stands today on the same property with the Corburn Baptist Church. Bottom right-Many notable Hammond citizens attended the Sunday School. This 1921 photographs shows, from left, standing: Floyd Wainwright, Omar Wainwright, Leslie Parker, and Charles Murphy. In the middle row: Willis Hoover, Adlee Bennett, Charence Wittie, Camest Robertson and Otto Vinyard. In the front row: Frank Wainwright, Herbert Vinyard, Stanley Bennett, Dr. Lucius D. McGehee, one of the founders of Southeastern Louisiana University, Walter Drott, and Elmo Vinyard.
NovemberGeorge Sanders' logging job shown here was typical of those which operated among the virgin pine timber of this area.
DecemberThe Wishing Springs Hotel, which was operated by Mrs. Ann "Mother" Breckwoldt. In later years the name was changed to the Breckwoldt Hotel. Construction was started on the first wing of the building in 1894 and the second wing was built in 1908. It was located above five miles east of Hammond on the Tangipahoa River, site of today's River Oaks Subdivision. Old timers of this area enjoyed many dances, parties and meals at the hotel. Before the days of automobiles, this was a popular "flag stop" on the Baton Rouge, Hammond & Eastern Railroad.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1992
JanuaryThe interior of the Ozone Drug Store
in the summer of 1942. Located in the Boos Building at the corner
of Thomas and East Railroad Avenue, this popular pharmacy and soda
fountain was operated for years by charles E. Blomquist. Shown in
the photograph are Sylvia Blomquist LaDew, Charles E. Blomquist,
Grace Blomquist, Angie Michelli Minkus, and Gertrude Lee Allen.
FebruaryHammond officials a century ago. (top row) Mayor Urene Desouge, Alderman Leroy Thomas and W. B. Holden; (second row) George Lewis, Pastor Seventh Day Baptist Church, Duncan Cannon, Marshal and Alderman William Desouge; (bottom row) Alderman Edgar Irish, Frank E. Neelis, Tax Collector and Alderman L. I. Way. They are on the steps of Hammond Hall which was erected on the C. E. Cate property and faced Northeast RR Ave. at the corner of E. Robert St. It was built with private contributions to provide Hammond the first facility for use as a public auditorium and meeting place, as well as a town hall for council meetings. Shortly after its dedication in February 1890, a Farmers and Fruit Growers Convention was held in the hall attended by over 600 people from the north and midwest.
MarchA serene buggy ride through the
countryside of Hammond, March 1901. This photograph is from an
album "Hammond, Louisiana-Two Weeks in March 1901" by Allan
Pendergrass of Florida.
AprilAnyone remember this alligator? This photograph, discovered among several others of this area by Wayne Smith, owner of Cypress Corner Antiques & Collectibles in Ponchatoula, dates to approximately 1895, but the exact location is not known. It is obviously in the swamp south of Ponchatoula. While some speculated it was at Ruddock, long-time resident Will Ed Butler recalls seeing an alligator held in a tank adjacent to the railroad tracks at Manchac when he was a child and believes that to be the location.
MayUnion Memorial Day in Hammond in the mid 1890s. The majority of early Hammond settlers were from the north and midwest, lured here by the promotional efforts of the Illinois Central Railroad. Many were veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic.
JuneA picturesque scene along the banks of the Natalbany River near Springfield. Note the well camouflaged young man in the center of the photograph.
JulyTangipahoa Parish Court House in Amite, circa 1910. It served as the center of judicial and legal activity until the present day structure was completed on the same site in 1968.
AugustThe Hammond Light Guards. In 1895, Captain Thomas W. Cate formed Company H of the First Infantry Regiment at Hammond. They were among the first to answer President McKinley's call for volunteers in the Spanish-American War. The top photograph, also discovered by Wayne Smith owner of Cypress Corner Antiques & Collectibles, shows the Company on maneuvers in the Hammond area. Below, they are pictured aboard the train in the block south of Thomas Street preparing to depart for active duty in the Spanish American War.
SeptemberA north bound passenger train takes on water while boarding passengers at the Hammond Depot in 1901. The locomotive would be directly in front of the present Citizens National Bank Main Office. At that time, the passenger depot was situated on the east side of the track between Thomas and Charles Street. This photograph was also from the album of Allan Pendergrass.
OctoberThe new Methodist Episcopal Church of Amite in 1910. Built to replace an earlier sanctuary destroyed by the tornado of 1908, this beautiful building, which faced East Mulberry Street was itself destroyed by the disastrous tornado of April 1940. NovemberAround the turn of the century, this sugar mill was in operation on the west bank of the Ponchatoula River, just south of the present home of Tommy and Shirley Jackson (Carriage House Antiques). The sugar plantation encompassed lands presently owned by the Jackson, Fallers, and the River Ranch Subdivision south of Highway 22.
DecemberBuilt as a bank in 1835 by the New Orleans Gas Light and Banking Co., this building still stands in Springfield. In approximately 1840, it became the courthouse for Livingston Parish. Before Tangipahoa Parish was created in 1869, this area west of the Tangipahoa River was a part of Livingston Parish and was served by this courthouse. In 1872, the parish seat of Livingston Parish was moved to Port Vincent and the building became Settoon's General Store, supplied by schooners on the nearby Natalbany River. Today it is a private resident. The photographs was taken in 1901.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1993
JanuaryThis photograph of the depot in
Tangipahoa, Louisiana was taken in July of 1930. Looking south from
the main crossing at Center Street, presently Louisians Highway
440, it shows the depot to the left. Opposite, on the right, is a
covered shed where independent dairymen could load their cans of
milk for shipment to New Orleans. Visible in the distance is the
cooling plant of the Cloverland Dairy Products Co., where milk was
brought to be cooled before being shipped in glass lined railroad
cars to the Cloverland Creamery in New Orleans. One of the milk
cars can be seen at the cooling plant.
FebruaryIt seems that half of Hammond turned out in their "Sunday Best" to watch firemen battle the flames from a pile of lumber at the Hammond Lumber Company. The scene of the fire is directly across the railroad tracks from the present S.L.U. Tennis Courts on Northwest Railroad Avenue. An Illinois Central locomotive is being used to pump water to fight the fire, while a crew of men can be seen operating a hand pump from the small stream in the left foreground.
MarchThe Hammond Berries, a professional baseball team, won the Evangeline League championship in 1947 by defeating the Alexandria "Aces" in the semi-finals and the Thibodaux "Giants" in the finals. Other teams making up the Evangeline League were: The Baton Rouge "Red Sticks," Houma "Indians," New Iberia "Pelicans," Natchez "Giants," and the Abbeville "Athletics." The nightly games were played in Berry Stadium at Southeastern Park, the location of the present SLU Baseball diamond. Home attendance for the 1947 season was 59,126. Members of the 1947 Hammond Berries Championship team were from left to right, kneeling: Paul Bruno, Manager, First Baseman/Pitcher; Eddie Bowles, Pitcher/ First Baseman; Art O'Conner, Catcher; Ray Dunn, Shortshop; Frank Gibbs, Third Baseman; Jim "Kid" Waldrop, Second Baseman; Joe Bucha, Catcher. Standing: Pat Patterson, Pitcher; Bill Moerman, Center Fielder; Troy Mitchell, Left/Fielder/Catcher, Audis Gill, Right Fielder; Hugh King, Pitcher, Pete Mouledous, Pitcher; Stanley Hancock, Pitcher.
AprilThe hustle and bustle of strawberry season is reflected in this 1910 photograph showing the loading of the berries into Illinois Central refrigerator cars at Ponchatoula. Note that the train station was situated just north of Pine Street and the passenger platform extended well south of Pine Street. After a tragic accident in 1912, the station was moved further north to afford persons crossing the tracks at Pine Street a better view of approaching south-bound trains. MayThe Amite Dairy Farm of John Saal was featured in a 1910 promotional booklet on Tangipahoa Parish published by the Passenger Department of the Illinois Central Railroad. Saal was the Sheriff of Tangipahoa Parish and the owner and operator of a dairy farm of 125 cows, the milk of which was shipped to New Orleans. It was stated in the booklet: "Mr. Saal uses one of the latest improved concrete silos, and his farm is an object lesson as to the possibilities of diversified farming in Tangipahoa Parish."
JuneHammond Army Air Field formally opened by the military on June 1, 1943. The first base commander was Captain Fredrick W. Ring, shown in the inset. By November 1943, more than 1000 personnel were stationed at the base as pilots of two fighter squadrons trained in the Republic P-47 "Thunderbolt" fighters. A flight from that group of P-47s is shown here.
JulyRush's Drive In, located on West Thomas Street in Hammond, was a popular spot for people of all ages in the 1950s and '60s. Operated by Rush J. Lassiter, who started a hamburger/hot dog stand in a trailer, the business expanded several times. This photograph shows the "Drive In" after it was doubled in size to include a dining room. Located in front of the Channel Shopping Center, a portion of the building still stands and is used for office space.
AugustLawn Tennis was a popular pastime at the original wooden Oaks Hotel. This scene was taken from the present location of the west entrance of the Citizens National Bank Main Office in Hammond. To the right is shown the water tower which served the Oaks, while in the background several structures are visible in Cate Square, the home place of the late Charles E. Cate.
SeptemberThe R. A. Kent Mercantile Company was the busiest place in Fluker on Saturdays. Employees of the Kent Mill were paid on one Saturday and employees of the Kent Farms were paid on the following Saturday. If an employee of either company needed an advance on his/her wages, they would receive it in the form of "Bronzene" which was good only at the company store. The amount received would later be deducted from the employee's bi-weekly wages. "Bronzene" was the prevalent name for the trade tokens issued as advances to employees of lumber companies in Louisiana. The origin of the name is uncertain, but may have come from the fact that many of the tokens were made of brass. The Kent Company issued the tokens in denominations of 1¢, 5¢, and 25¢, 50¢, $1 and $5. Examples of the 1¢, 5¢, and 25¢ tokens are shown at left. At first the tokens were round, but local slot machine owners complained that the tokens were being used in lieu of quarters in their machines and prevailed upon Kent to change the design to the beaded edge version shown.
OctoberS. E. Hostetter's Artesian Well at Roseland was featured in a 1910 promotional booklet on Tangipahoa Parish published by the Passenger Department of the Illinois Central Railroad. This scene was to show the abundance of pure water the parish had to offer northern settlers. The 1910 booklet stated: "Roseland is another northern settlement that has grown from a field covered with pine stumps 20 years ago, to an interesting city of 600 people with an assessed valuation of $125,933.00. In the vicinity of Roseland, it is estimated that no less than 1000 acres are now cultivated in vegetables." Local farmers mentioned in the article on Roseland include: Mr. C. A. Tiebout, formerly of Kalamazoo, Michigan; Mr. S. E. Hostetter, formerly of Adams County, Pennsylvania and Mr. Harry Wilson. The article noted of these men, "They are three of the most intelligent truck growers to be found in either the North or the South." (Note: Harry Wilson was the father of famed Cajun humorist an chef, Justin Wilson.)
NovemberThe Hammond State Bank was located on the north side of the 200 block of East Thomas Street, the present site of Anderson's Family Shoe Store. The prestigious original building is shown above, while the interior is shown below. Seated is Mr. Ed Richardson, Cashier. Standing is Mr. Rosewell Lille, President The metal cage or barrier separating the lobby area was intended to foil bank robbers of the day.
DecemberCN-1, an Illinois Central Chicago/New Orleans manifest freight, blasts south past the depot at Tickfaw in this 1956 photograph by the late C. W. Witbeck.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1994
JanuaryTop-The "new" Hammond Union Depot was built in 1912. The passenger waiting room is used by Amtrak today. This photograph was taken by C. W. Witbeck from the top of a strawberry car on April 20, 1954. Bottom left-View up the tracks from the Depot showing the coal chute, orth of town, in the left background and the railroad water tank in the right background. Both were used in the days of the steam locomotive. Ahead of the caboose are strawberry cars spotted on the express track for loading. The water column for placing water in the locomotive tenders is to the left of the fifth berry car. Bottom right-The Hammond Railroad Yards along Northeast Railroad Avenue were a hub-bub of activity during the strawberry season. Here workmen load blocks of ice, lifted by the truck-mounted elevator, into the refrigerator cars so the berries will arrive in good condition at their northern destinations.
FebruaryUpper left-Manchac Depot, 1903.
Upper right-Sailboat on the lake near Manchac, circa 1900. Bottom
right-Buckhorn Club and Bradley's Camp on North Pass.
MarchEarly strawberry activity at the Amite depot.
AprilUpper left-Loading strawberries at old Hammond Depot at corner of Thomas and Cate Street in 1910. Lower left-Picking berries near Hammond. Upper right-Strawberry labels applied to crates after being loaded in Express Cars.
MaySteamboat Florine of the Brakenridge Railway & Navigation Company on Natalbany River at Springfield (just north of present Highway 22 bridge).
JuneRoseland Depot and Packing Shed, circa 1900.
JulyNatalbany, Louisiana in its heyday! Five photographs showing the Natalbany Lumber Mill, the baseball team at the Hotel, street scenes.
AugustRosaryville near Ponchatoula, was originally established by the Benedictine Fathers in the 1880s as a seminary called "Gessen." Later they sold the property to the Spanish Dominican Fathers who renovated the buildings and renamed the site, Rosaryville. In 1939 it became the first permanent novitiate of the Dominican Sisters and is still in their possession today.
SeptemberUpper left-Log cut by Banner Lumber Company, Kentwood, La. for the Tennessee Centennial in 1896. Lower left-The narrow-gauge Kentwood & Eastern Railroad operated from 1892-1918 from Kentwood through Spring Creek, Mt. Hermon, and Warnerton to Hackley in Washington Parish. Above-Well at the Banner Lumber Company, circa 1898.
OctoberFall harvest at Loranger.
NovemberUpper left-Ponchatoula Depot showing Alford Hotel, circa 1910, before depot was relocated to present location. Lower left-Main Street-Ponchatoula looking west, 1923. Upper right-"Old Steel Bridge" across the Tangipahoa River, east of Ponchatoula.
DecemberIllinois Central Railroad Park, adjacent to the main line, was the showplace of Hammond for many years.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1995
JanuaryThe Commissary, Office and company
dwellings of the Williams Lumber Company in the Millville section
of Ponchatoula. Advances on employees' salaries were given in
"bronzene" (commonly called "Br zene") which could only be used at
the company commissary. Shown are examples of the 50 cent and 5
FebruaryHotel Ponder, Inc., Amite City, Louisiana was billed as a "modern, air-conditioned, fireproof hotel with 62 rooms and apartments." It included a bar, coffee shop, lounge restaurant and popular sun roof.
MarchThis stately home was originally built by Edward P. Denkmann. It was later sold to Colonel & Mrs. James Corbett, owners when this photograph was taken. Later purchased by Mr. & Mrs. John T. Patenotte, it has for many years been the home of Hans & Marietta Reimers Schneider.
AprilThe "Beanery," as it was popularly known, was located in the south end of the Hammond Depot. It was open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide meals for railroad crews and for passengers on trains that did not carry dining cars. Operated for many years by John M. and Evelyn Neelis Robinson, it became one of the most popular restaurants in Hammond. Mr. Johnny, shown behind the counter second from the left in the interior photograph, was a gourmet cook. The counter was a single piece of cypress approximately 3 inches thick. They provided curb service in the rear after a dance or late date.
MayThe schooner "Brashier" on Lake Maurepas.
The schooner was owned by Mr. Edward Kinchen and operated by
Captain John Ross.
JuneThis month marks the 50th anniversary of the June 13, 1945 Award Ceremony Review at the Hammond Army Air Field. The Hammond Gunnery School was presented an Award of Merit for their outstanding scores in the 3rd Air Force. The air-to-air gunnery practice was at targets towed by other aircraft over Lake Pontchartrain. The air-to-ground gunnery and rocket training was held at the Hammond Bombing & Gunnery Range, north of Highway 190 between Robert and the St. Tammany Parish line.
JulyGovernor Jared Young Sanders, a native of St. Mary Parish, became one of Hammond's most popular and respected citizens. He had an active political career serving as a representative from his area in the state House of Representatives from 1892 until 1904. He was then elected Lt. Governor from 1904 until 1908 when he was elected Governor of Louisiana. He served one term from 1908 until 1912. He later established his residence on Sanders Avenue, which was then named in his honor, and established a branch law office in Hammond in the mid 1920s. He commuted to his main law office in New Orleans until his retirement in the late 1930s. He was an organizer and director of Citizens National Bank and the Florida Parishes Homestead Association. He remained active in state and local politics and his advice and counsel were sought by many throughout the state. Photograph is of him and his house.
AugustPonchatoula Beach was a favorite Sunday outing for early Ponchatoula citizens. This 1914 photograph shows a group of revelers returning to town from the beach over the old river bridge.
SeptemberWiginton Memorial Hospital at the corner of Thomas and Pine Streets in Hammond. Dr. & Mrs. Marquis C. Wiginton opened the hospital in the old Natalbany Lumber Company office building. It was dedicated in memory of their deceased daughter, Mabel. It served the area until Seventh War Hospital opened. Photograph is of the hospital and Dr. Wiginton
OctoberFlorida Parishes Charity Hospital is shown as it originally appeared before being greatly expanded and renovated into Lallie Kemp Medical Center.
NovemberImperial Bakery & Ice Cream Company. The bakery/ice cream store was located in the second block of North Cypress Street and the Ice Cream Plant was located behind it in the center of the block. Mr. Jessie Smith Bunce is shown standing second from right.
DecemberA group of early settlers at the Husser Post Office.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHCITIZENS NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1996
JanuaryThe Federated Church was located at the corner of Thomas and Magnolia Streets in Hammond. The building was constructed by the Congregational Church after its original church at the corner of Pine and Church Streets was destroyed by fire caused by lightening striking the steeple on September 13, 1901. (note: This church has no steeple!) The Presbyterian Church purchased the corner property diagonally opposite (to the northeast) and was planning to construct their own church when the two churches began holding joint services in 1916. After a three year period, both churches unanimously agreed to form the Federated Church Realty Company. The Congregational Church put up the building as their share and the Presbyterians put up an equivalent amount of cash to enlarge the building to adequately serve both congregations. Joint services were held in this building until 1959 when the new Presbyterian Church was erected at the corner of Charles and Spruce Streets.
FebruaryThe Live Oak Mill at Natalbany was
located adjacent to the Illinois Central Railroad on the west side
of the track. In 1903, the Denkmann interests bought the operation
and renamed it the Natalbany Lumber Company. A much larger mill,
called the Red Mill, was built to the west and following the
hurricane of 1909, a third mill was built adjacent to the second to
cut the storm-downed timber. Together they formed one of the
largest lumber operations in Louisiana.
MarchIllinois Central Railroad Park. Following the completion of the new Union Depot at Hammond in 1912, which served both the Illinois Central and the Baton Rouge, Hammond & Eastern Railroads, the Illinois Central maintained beautiful gardens adjacent to its main tracks through Hammond. The photograph shows the portion lying between the railroad and West Railroad Avenue, between Charles and Robert Streets. This was across the street from the Oaks Hotel, now the site of the Main Office of Citizens National Bank. The steeple of the Grace Memorial Episcopal Church can be seen in the center background of the photograph.
AprilCamping on the Tangipahoa River. The exact location of the photograph is unknown. This is a postcard typical of the time depicting scenes throughout the area. Photograph shows tents and campers.
MayPonchatoula Boy Scout Troop 100 headed for Chattanooga, TN, in 1948, aboard the "Strawberry Express" donated for the trip by H. J. Gabriel Building Supply. "Boys" shown from left to right: Robert L. Jackson, Andrew J. Pusey, Oscar Saint, Marvin Johnson, Jack Vaughan, Cage Harris, Larry Davis, Carlyle Dwyer, Donald Goode, C. Paul Phelps, Lawerence Powell, Ellis Guillory, Earl Tucker, Richard Beal, Julius Hoover. In front: Perry Davis and Charles Brann.
JunePonchatoula Churches. The Baptist Church and Methodist Church were situated a half block apart on Pine Street. These buildings were used by their congregations until the new churches that stand on these same sites today were built. The new Baptist Church was built in 1979 and the new Methodist Church was dedicated in 1959.
JulyJohn W. Himmler is shown in his blacksmith shop which faced what is now U. S. Highway 51 just south of the water tank at Roseland. He emigrated from Germany to Neustead, Ontario Canada in the 1860s and moved to Roseland about 1890 to carry on a general blacksmith business near the original Box Factory at Roseland. He was the great grandfather of Tom Davidson.
AugustThe Greater St. James A.M.E. Church is located on the corner of Michigan and Holly Streets in Hammond. Erected in 1925, the building still stands and is in active use by its congregation.
SeptemberSoutheastern Louisiana College, Circa 1945. Upper right-The building surge began with a vigor in 1934 with the dedication of McGehee Hall, the first brick building. The others were completed in 1940. Upper left-The President's Home. Middle left-The Science Building. Lower left-The Music Building. Right-The Training School (now the Math Building).
OctoberPostmaster H. S. Kohnke became Hammond Postmaster in June 1893 and later served as mayor. He is shown in the doorway on the north side of the first block of East Thomas Street. The Post Office occupied the eat half of the building while the west side was occupied by R. Lillie & Co. Bankers. Lower right-Seated in front: R. B. Kohnke; from left to right: Sonora A. Kohnke, Ernest E. Kohnke, Herman A. Kohnke, Laura G. Kohnke, Agnes Nenzes Kohnke, Herman A. Kohnke, Jr., Florence Mae Kohnke; standing in back, Frederick Kohnke. Lower left-The H. A. Kohnke home situated on the corner of Church and North Magnolia Streets, it is believed to be the first brick home in Hammond. It was stuccoed in approximately 1915 and still stands today. In the background of the photograph is the original Congregational Church of Hammond which was located on the corner of Church and North Pine Streets.
NovemberHarriss Drug Store in Ponchatoula.
Located on the corner of Pine Street and Northeast Railroad Avenue
in Ponchatoula, the building stands today and is the home of Paul's
Café across the street from the Ponchatoula Country Market.
DecemberPostcard scenes at the Oaks Hotel in Hammond. The scenes show the second Oakd Hotel, opened January 1, 1907, after the original hotel was destroyed by fire on October 12, 1905. The statue of "Mercury" shown above is now housed in the Rural Life Museum in Baton Rouge.
TANGIPAHOA PARISHDEPOSIT GUARANTY NATIONAL BANK CALENDAR, 1997
JanuaryThe two-story masonry building along
the west side of South Cypress Street between Thomas and Morris was
known as the "Baltzell Block." It was built by Sylis L. Baltzell,
who moved to Hammond from Centralia, Illinois in 1880. The south
end of the building burned in 1911 and was rebuilt as a single
story. It currently houses Himel NAPA Auto Parts. The north corner
at Thomas and Cypress Streets housed, among other businesses, the
Saik Hotel and Restaurant. It has recently undergone extensive
refurbishing and is now the "Red, White and Brew" wine/coffee
specialty store. The entire block along Cypress Street once
contained beautiful cast iron columns which have been restored,
except for the portion formerly occupied by the Ritz Theater.
FebruaryThe Atherton Theater, Kentwood.
MarchThe Hotel Alford in Ponchatoula was situated across the railroad tracks west of the depot, today's famed Ponchatoula Country Market. To the right of the picture is the mail crane with the mailbag suspended. A south bound passenger train carrying a Railway Post Office car would extend a metal hook as it approached the crane and catch the mailbag "on the fly" without stopping!
AprilThe Southern Bell Telephone office at 205 West Charles Street before construction of the new office at the corner of Thomas and Pine Streets. All local and long distance calls were handled by operators. Photograph on right shows the building and the three photographs on the left show the inside of the office.
MayRight-The Illinois Central Railroad Park at Amite. Below-The Tangipahoa River bridge east of Amite.
JuneThis aerial view of the Ponchatoula School campus was taken about 1960. In the foreground is the Ponchatoula High School built in 1923. It has recently been remodeled into the beautiful new Ponchatoula Junior High. The Home Economics cottage is shown to the right and the gymnasium is to the left. In the background is the Elementary School which burned in 1994. Behind it football practice is taking place on the field where the famous "Cypress Bowl" was held for many years following World War II. The annual event pitted the finest south Louisiana high schools in a post season classic.
JulyCharles A. Kent Sr., whose beautiful home in Kentwood is shown at the left, operated the Kentwood Ice Mfg. & Bottling Works (below) which was well known for its soft drink called "SMILE!" The interior photo shows the syrup room in the plant.
AugustPonchatoula's first brick school, commonly referred to as the "Red Brick School' served both as elementary and high school. The three story "Red Brick School," shown under construction was build in 1913 and was situated just south of today's newly renovated Ponchatoula Junior High. This building was demolished after the new Ponchatoula Elementary was completed in 1937.
SeptemberFollowing Hurricane Betsy in
September 1965, Hammond was the southern terminal for all Illinois
Central passenger trains. The main line was washed out for miles
near the shore of Lake Pontchatrain and it took approximately six
weeks to restore service. In the photograph, taken in front of the
Deposit Guaranty building, the backlog of train traffic is evident.
The headlight of the incoming south bound "Panama Limited" awaits
departure from the depot. The employee on the motorcar is
traffic-bound until the "City" departs. To his right is the last
car of No. 25, "The Southern Express," which has been turned on the
"Y"-track and will depart northward at noon as No. 4, "The Northern
Express." The baggage car and line of Pullmans to the right were
being held over between runs.
OctoberThis view of the Oaks Hotel taken from Thomas Street shows the Stewart Monument located where the Chamber of Commerce office is today. It was erected in memory of Francis G. Stewart, a railroad employee, who gave his life, April 13, 1908, while rescuing a young boy from the path of an oncoming train. The gazebo and bandstand in the background was located where Zemurray's II is today.
NovemberThe 1936 Southeastern Louisiana College undefeated football team. First row, seated left to right: Jack Nelson, Joe Alessi, James Britt, Sam J. Dantone, Harold "Slick" Sudderth, Greek Benglis, Q. B. Nelson, "Curley" Hart, Lloyd "Sonny Boy" Richardson, Norel "Red" Grandeury. Second row, left to right: "Mud" Clay, Dunbar Chaney, "Winks" Vineyard, "Catfish" Cox, Hagler Sanchez, Lawrence "Larry" King, Hollis "Roomie" Wilson, Bill Stevenson, James Jo "Jimmie" Carlin. Back row: Coach Arthur "red" Swanson, Hugh Pendarvis, Guy Speck, Jack Hemphill, James Wesley "Bucket" Bales, Joe Costanza, Loftin, Douglas Wilcombe, Earl "Harlow" Morgan, Assistant Coach Edward L. "Ned" McGehee. The photograph was taken on the old football field, now the site of Mims Hall and Southeastern Hall.
DecemberThe Hollywood School on Yellow Water Road served the children of the area from the 1920s until the mid '40s. The two room building housed the first, second, and third grades in one room and grades four and five in the other. Long time teachers, among others, were Mrs. Louise Lanier and Mrs. Christine Gugliuzza Bivona. The building faced Yellow Water Road. In 1948 it was purchased and turned at right angles to the road and is now used as a residence.