All Level (K-12) Area Add-On
Add-on certification must be added to a valid Louisiana teaching certificate.
Art, Foreign Language, Health/Physical
Education, and Music
|Southeastern Course Used||Louisiana State Department Category|
|Various||30 credit hours in the specialty content area*|
* Please see the Louisiana State Department website for a list of acceptable courses.
A passing score for the PRAXIS specialty area exam in the area of endorsement.
Additional Louisiana State Department of Education Certification Requirements:
- Adding a foreign language requires a passing score for the Praxis World Languages Pedagogy exam (0841).
- An individual already certified in one Music Education area (Instrumental Music OR
Vocal Music) may add the second music area with coursework, as follows
- To add Instrumental Music, 12 semester hours to include brass, percussion, string, and woodwind instruments.
- To add Vocal Music, 12 semester hours to include piano and voice.
Upon completing all requirements, the teacher's district will send an Evaluation, Add-On, Course Approval & Name Change Application (Application Type - EV) and any other documents (e.g., transcripts) to the Louisiana State Department of Education to add the new area to the existing teaching certificate.