Certification-Only Alternate Program
Our Certification-Only Alternate Program allows you to work toward certification while working full-time as a teacher of record with full salary. Our program consists of 30-33 credit hours of coursework and is 100% online. Once officially admitted to the program you are eligible for a practitioner's license (PL) so that you can be hired as a full-time teacher of record in an accredited school and teach while completing coursework.
Our program offers certification in the following areas:
- Elementary Education Grades 1-5
- Secondary Education 6-12 with Focus Area
- Biology, Business Education, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, and Speech
- Grades K-12 with Focus Area
- Art, Health and Physical Education, Music (Vocal), Music (Instrumental), Spanish, and French
- Special Education Early Intervention: Birth-5
- Special Education Grades 1-5
- Special Education Grades 6-12 with Focus Area
Instrumental and Vocal Music Education candidates must meet all of the music prerequisite requirements. Your transcript will be reviewed by the Department Head of Music and Performing Arts. Contact Ms. Joan Penton at email@example.com for the requirements.
Requirements for Official Admission
To be eligible for the non-degree Certification-Only program, you must already have a bachelor's degree and not be previously certified as a teacher.
- GPA: Preferred undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher. If you do not meet this requirement, please contact the Graduate Coordinator for the Department of Teaching & Learning or the College of Education Dean's Office to discuss other GPA eligibility possibilities.
- Praxis passing score in the content area in which you wish to become certified. Please consult the list of available certification areas that Southeastern offers. The Louisiana State Department of Education sets policies for the specific exam and passing scores for Praxis exams.
If you would like to schedule an appointment to have your transcript(s) evaluated, questions about Praxis scores, or other questions about admission to the program, please contact Ms. Joan Penton in the College of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
Policies related to eligibility for the practitioner’s license (PL) are set by the Louisiana State Department of Education. Once officially admitted to the program, if you are hired or planning to be hired as a full-time teacher of record in an accredited school so that you are teaching while completing coursework, please contact the program advisors so that you may determine whether you are eligible under current policies. Program advisors will help you start the process of application if you are eligible.
PRAXIS Information and PRAXIS Preparation Resources
Praxis Preparation Resources (Some of the links may have changed, so you may want to do additional research for more current preparation materials.)
Tuition & Fees
All fee payments must be made via LeoNet (Self Service>Campus Finances>Make a Payment via Nelnet) or by mailing a check, money order, or cashier's check to SLU, Controller's Office, SLU 10720, Hammond, LA 70402. For assistance, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The amounts are subject to change so continue to check the link provided: Tuition & Fees.
Those seeking to apply for the Certification-only program should not already have their initial teacher certification (see the Add-on Certification or Master of Education page if you are a certified teacher).
When applying for the Certification-only program, you will apply as a graduate student for a non-degree certification. If you are interested in certification with a master's degree, please consider the MAT program.
Program Advisors: Contact Us
Email Dr. Ellen Caillouet at email@example.com for more information or to apply for the Master's Alternate Certification Program.
*After successful completion of all requirements in the Alternate Certification program, students may be eligible for recommendation to the Louisiana Department of Education for teacher certification in their area of certification.