Col. William H. Junghan Collection
1. Certificates of service (38 items)
a. Certificate of appointment to Honorary Lieutenant Governor of Ohio. To William H. Junghans, Jr. Signed John W. Donakey.
b. Bronze Star Medal award letter to William H. Junghans, Jr. Signed W. F. Halsey. South Pacific Force stationery.
c. Certificate appointing William H. Junghans, Jr. to Second Lieutenant in the U. S. Marine Corps. 5 February 1941.
d. Civilian Defense Award to William H. Junghans, Jr. as Air Raid Warden. 11 June 1942. City of Waco, TX, stationery.
e. Military history of William H. Junghans, Jr. Includes education, service, and post-war stationing as well as brief life details. May 1963. (3 copies)
f. Summary of service since entering the military for William H. Junghans, Jr. 31 October 1940 - 13 July 1961.
g. Oficer’s Qualification Record for William H. Junghans, Jr. 1955.
h. Certificate of Special Recognition of William H. Junghans, Jr. by Stanley A. Cmich, mayor. 17 February 1965. City of Canton, OH, stationery.
i. Insurance information letter from William H. Junghans, Jr. to Commanding Officer, Marine Barracks, Yokosuka, Japan. 1957.
j. Letter from Col. Anna Friedman Goldman to William H. Junghans, Jr. 19 March 1963. Notification of his admission to the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels.
k. Leave Authorization form fro William H. Junghans, Jr. 21 March 1963.
l. Marine Corps certificate for completion of “The Senior Course, Senior School.” Awarded to William H. Junghans, Jr. 4 June 1954.
m. Certificate acknowledging William H. Junghans, Jr. as a guest speaker at a Bensalem Township Lions Club meeting. 16 November 1972.
n. Resolution No. 75. Cites William H. Junghans, Jr. as a Borough Manager of the Borough of Norristown. 6 May 1969. Signed Thomas R. Pizzico.
o. Certificate fo Appointment of William H. Junghans, Jr. to be a West Virginian Centennial Colonel. 20 June 1963. Issued by L. P. Catron.
p. Letter from Robert H. B. Baldwin to William H. Junghans, Jr. 14 July 1966. Letter of appreciation for outstanding recruitment service.
q. Certificate for William H. Junghans, Jr. for completion of the Executive Training Program of Georgian Institute of Technology. 12 February 1971.
r. Letter awarding William H. Junghans, Jr. the Chungmu Distinguished Military Service Medal with Gold Star. 18 May 1955. From the Republic of Korea.
s. Certificate for six-month duty with the Armed Forces Information and Education Division to William H. Junghans, Jr. Department of Defense. 27 April 1950.
t. Certificate for United States Marine Corps Institute’s Post Exchange Accounting Course to William H. Junghans, Jr. 29 April 1950.
u. Memo citing Bronze Star Medal award to William H. Junghans, Jr. for battery operation during 1943. Secretary of the Navy stationery.
v. Presidential Unit Citation from the Republic of Korea to USMC Advisory Component for development of the Korean Marine Corps during 1 February 1953 - 27 July 1954.
w. Certificate for USMC School’s Base Defense Weapons Course completion to William H. Junghans, Jr. 20 September 1941.
x. Certificate for USMC School’s Fourth Reserve Officers’ Course to William H. Junghans, Jr. 29 May 1941.
y. Certificate for USMC School’s Thirty-sixth Instructors’ Orientation Course to William H. Junghans, Jr. 9 September 1949.
z. Honorable Discharge of William H. Junghans, Jr. from Marine Corps Reserve to become a Second Lieutenant. 19 February 1941.
aa. Letter of Commendation from Kim Suk Bum, Republic of Korea Marine Corps, to William H. Junghans, Jr. For helping construct the Korean Marine Corps. 1 April 1955.
bb. News release concerning William H. Junghans, Jr.’s presentation of Abington Township’s 10th Annual Boy Scout Day In Local Government. 31 January 1968. Gives a brief summary of William H. Junghans, Jr.’s military history. Township of Abington Office of University Communications and Creative Services stationery.
cc. Invitation to Graduation of the Base Defense Weapons Class. 20 September 1941.
dd. Temporary Citation from W. F. Halsey, Admiral, concerning William H. Junghans, Jr.’s award of the Bronze Star Medal for exemplary battery service.
ee. Letter from Felipe Reyna to William H. Junghans, Jr. 1 March 1977. Concerns service on the McLennan County Grand Jury.
ff. Letter from E. J. Kyle to William H. Junghans, Jr. 26 August 1939. Concerns son’s appointment to the distinguished students list. (4 copies)
gg. Program for the Dedication Service for Stoney Creek Day Camp. 1 October 1967. 75th anniversary celebration. William H. Junghans, Jr., representative speaker.
2. Newspaper clippings (72 items)
Various newspaper clippings primarily concerned with the post-military life of William H. Junghans, Jr. Major focus on his career as Norristown’s first borough manager (from appointment to resignation). Also includes several newspaper photographs of Junghans as borough manager and receiving military honors and awards. 4 clippings are in Japanese. c. mid- to late-1960s.
1. Nakatatsu brand 3-Blade Folding Saw advertisement. In Japanese. On parchment.
2. Translation of Nakatatsu 3-Blade Folding Saw advertisement.
3. Nakatatsu brand 3-Blade Folding Saw description. Hand-written annotation: “Description of saw I bought today.”
4. Preparatory course diploma from the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to William Junghans. 15 June 1906.
5. Citation from Won Yil Sohn, Minister of National Defense of the Republic of Korea, concerning the awarding of the Chungmu Distinguished Military Service Medal with Gold Star. 15 May 1955.
6. Certificate awarding William H. Junghans, Jr. the rank of Major in the USMC. 9 May 1943.
7. Certificate awarding William H. Junghans, Jr. the rank of Colonel in the USMC. 1 May 1959.
8. Certificate awarding William H. Junghans, Jr. the rank of Temporary Lieutenant Colonel. in the USMC. 1 January 1951.
9. Certificate to be an “Ambassador of Good Will” for the city of Louisville, KY, to William H. Junghans, Jr. 15 March 1960s.
10. Certificate commissioning William H. Junghans, Jr. a Kentucky Colonel. 1 March 1963.
11. Graduate Diploma for Marine Corps Schools fo William H. Junghans, Jr. 28 October 1944.
12. Certificate awarding the rank of Lieutenant Colonel to William H. Junghans, Jr. 3 July 1952.
13. Certificate of special recognition from the State of Ohio to William H. Junghans, Jr. 4 December 1964.
Pins and medals (81 items)
a. Triple ribbon pins. WWII Victory, Korean service, United Nations service, National Defense service. 13 items.
b. Single ribbon pins. Bronze star medal and Korean service. 5 items.
c. Dog tags for William H. Junghans, Jr.
d. Naval Officer Rank Insignia. Lieutenant rank. 6 items.
e. Miscellaneous medals. 2 items.
f. Necklace jewelry piece with a “J.”
g. Name tag for “Col Junghans.”
h. Name tag for “Junghans.”
i. Name tag for “Mrs. Junghans.”
j. Backings for pins. 36 items in a small box.
k. Lieutenant-Colonel Officer rank pin. 2 items.
l. Lieutenant-Colonel Officer rank pin. Small. 2 items.
m. Marine Corps label pins. 4 items.
n. Medal with the British Royal family motto: “Dieu et Mon Droit.”
o. United States Marine Corps pin with screwback.
p. United States Army rifle sharpshooter badge.
q. Colonel Rank Insignia. Small. 2 items.
United States Marine Corps uniform
d. Jacket with Colonel insignia and tie.
e. Pants. 2 pair.
United States Marine Corps ceremonial uniform
b. Ceremonial jacket with medals. Sharpshooter: pistol, expert: ss-pistol and ex-bayonet.
c. Pants with stripe.
CASE B, Drawer 13
(In Judge Leon Ford II Map Case)
1. William H. Junghans, Jr. Bachelor of Science degree from the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. 31 May 1940.
2. Letter of appreciation (in Korean) from Sang Yong Lee, Governor, Kyong Sang to William H. Junghans, Jr., Chief Advisor to Korean Marine Corps School in Chinhae, Korea.
3. Certificate. (In Korean)
4. Letter of appreciation (in Korean) to William Junghans for his supplying of building materials for Dochun Primary School in Chinhae, Korea. 25 March 1955.
5. Promotion proclamation. William H. Junghans to Second Lieutenant. 30 July 1941.