Preparing for Online and Hybrid Learning
Working, Teaching, and Taking Courses Remotely
In the event face-to-face instruction is interrupted due to illness, isolation or restricted access to campus, Southeastern Online understands that many faculty need information on how to transition your face-to-face courses to online formats and many students need support in transitioning to taking online courses. With preparation and planning, disruptions in course activity can be minimized and continuity in teaching and learning ensured.
By utilizing the following resources, you can successfully complete your courses without interruption if they are transitioned to an online format.
Meet Virtually On Campus
On Campus Computer Lab Access
- Please note that Student Tech Fee Computer Lab in Fayard Hall will be continue to remain open for student use. The hours are Monday-Thursday 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM.
- The lab will only make a limited number of computers available to allow for the appropriate spacing per the social distancing guidelines. No more than ten students will be allowed to use the lab at one time.
- Fayard Hall Computer Lab
Computer and Equipment Checkout
- Mane Media has Computers and other equipment that students can check out. They are located in the Student Technology Center in Fayard 127.
- Mane Media
- Mane Media Equipment Checkout Form
- Mane Media Available Equipment
- Equipment Checkout Policies and Procedures
In preparation, you should make sure you have tested your access to the following equipment:
- A desktop or laptop computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- Headset with a microphone.
- Webcam – a camera may already be built into your computer, but you can also use an external USB camera for video conferencing. Your instructor may use Google Meet for web conferencing. Google Meet recommends these webcams through Logitech: Webcams. However, most webcams will work with Google Meet.
- Internet – either connected to a wireless network commercially provided in your off-campus apartment or home, or a wireless hotspot through your mobile phone. You may also gain Wifi access at certain establishments, such as libraries and coffee shops.
Be prepared! It’s best to know these options will work for you before you actually need them. Test access to your equipment and resources before the need arises.
Monitor University Updates
Southeastern's website provides continuous, up-to-date information on the status of university operations. Also, be sure to register for emergency alert text messages and voice calls.
Stay in Communication
It is important that you stay in communication with your teachers and are able to receive communications from the university. All official communication regarding the university and regarding online classes will be done through Webmail. Make sure your Webmail account is set up and active. You might also want to follow Southeastern on Social Media for up to date announcements. You should check your university Webmail a minimum on once a day and preferably multiple times if possible.
- Free and Extended Internet and Wifi Offers
- Public Library Wifi Access Map
- Webmail Help
- Southeastern Social Media Directory
Student Help Desk
The Student Help Desk can assist you with most of your technical issues should any occur, including assisting you with Moodle where your online courses will take place.
Moodle is Southeastern's Learning Management System where online classes take place. You should make sure your Moodle access is set up and begin familiarizing yourself with the environment.
Google Meet is a simple platform designed to run an online meeting with minimal effort. Using only your web browser or a mobile device, meeting participants can share audio, video, and screens with colleagues and guests. Some of your faculty may have you attend lectures online, host virtual office hours, or have you do class presentations online. This will be done through a Google Meet link which would be set up in your Moodle Course.
Center for Student Excellence
The Center for Student Excellence has many support programs in place to assist you including academic coaching and online tutoring.