Travel Information


Please be sure to check the State travel website for updated information. 


PPM49 Travel Guide

Travel Checklist

Current Travel Updates

  • Vehicle Rentals - The state has contracted for all vehicle rentals based in the state of Louisiana through Enterprise, National, and Hertz. Despite the national rental shortage, free vehicle upgrades are allowed if requested vehicle is unavailable. Please call the local branch to make reservations. Contact the travel desk at (985) 549-2089 with any issues or concerns.
  • Mileage Rate – Effective October 1, 2022, the personally owned vehicle reimbursement rates must be based on the GSA rate for mileage, rounded down to the penny.  For current rates, visit the GSA website.
  • Lodging, Meal, and Incidental Rates - Lodging, Meal, and Incidental rates have been restructured to follow GSA rates. Please see more information below in the Lodging, Meals, and Incidentals section.
  • Airfare Additional Fee- Effective April 11, 2022 Christopherson Business Travel will charge an additional $24.00 fee for online bookings when a Christopherson agent has to correct the agency/department field in the traveler’s profile and/or payment information in order to finalize processing the ticket. To avoid issues with on-line booking, it is important that travelers and/or arrangers make sure each traveler’s profile and billing information is accurate prior to booking a ticket. It is important that the traveler and/or arranger’s profile is set up under the same agency as their CBA approver. It is the travelers responsibility to ensure the booking for their airfare has been completed and confirmed in a timely manner and not wait until it is time for their flight.  If the traveler has not received confirmation of their flight within 24 hours they should reach out to the travel arranger to resolve the issue. Travel Arrangers and CBA account holders must update Christopherson Business Travel with any updates to the CBA account i.e. new account, change in expiration date, and CVV number to avoid delays due to a transaction declining.  Any updates only to profiles or CBA card information/approvers contact M’Liss Hunter at



State Travel Policies and Procedure
Louisiana Travel Guide - provides complete travel regulations

Southeastern Travel Policy

Safe Driving Policy


General Information

State Travel Regulations state that expense reports for travel must be submitted no later than thirty days following travel.  Failure to submit an expense report on time could jeopardize reimbursement.

Registration fees may be paid for with Pcard (within Pcard policy).  All other travel expenses must be paid for by the employee and reimbursement to be requested via an expense report once the travel has concluded.  Registration and airfare that is purchased prior to travel may be reimbursed before the trip begins by turning in a completed Travel Advance Form with attached receipts.

Interviewees must have an approved Spend Authorization and Travel Approval for Non-State Employee form.  Consult the Human Resource Office for any questions concerning interviewee travel.

Anyone who is not an official state employee, and will be driving or transported in a state-owned vehicle and/or a vehicle which has been rented to the State of Louisiana must sign the Non-Employee Use of State Vehicle Acknowledgement (formerly known as Hold Harmless Agreement).  If you have any questions, you may contact the travel desk.

As a state agency, the university cannot reimburse Louisiana State Sales tax.  For in-state lodging, please use the Hotel Tax Exemption Form. 


Spend Authorization Information

Spend Authorizations (SAs) are to be done in Workday.  SAs are required for in-state conferences or seminars and for ALL out-of-state and International travel.  The following guidance is offered for your assistance in completing SAs and Expense Reports:

1. All SAs are to be submitted and approved prior to travel.  An approved SA will ensure the person traveling will be covered by state insurance and will be reimbursed for expenses within state travel regulations.  Travel without approval may result in non-reimbursement. In the event a SA is not submitted and/or approved prior to travel, a late SA must be submitted, including justification, and approved before reimbursement can be processed.


2. When submitting a SA in which you are to be reimbursed by a cost center other than your home cost center, you must update the Worktags for the expense(s) being paid for by another cost center.

3. When completing a SA, remember to use the correct business purpose for the travel expenses. 

4. International Travel: All international travel, whether traveling to or from international territories, must use the international travel business purpose.  Travel outside the United States MUST be pre-approved in order to be reimbursed.

Expense Report Information

State Travel Regulations state that Expense Reports for travel must be submitted no later than thirty days following travel.  Failure to submit expense reports on time could jeopardize reimbursement.

It is required that employees submit expense reports through Workday when requesting reimbursement for expenses related to travel.  Each Spend Authorization requires a separate Expense Report.

All travel related expenses must be included on the Expense Report.  This includes expenses incurred on a Pcard.

A copy of the formal agenda and/or program for conferences MUST be attached to the Expense Report for meals to be reimbursed, per audit guidelines.


State employees must purchase airfare through the State Contracted Travel Agency, Christopherson Business Travel.

Transactions made by phone or email have a $24.00 agent fee per domestic ticket and a $31.00 agent fee per international ticket.  Tickets purchased using the website have a $7.00 booking fee.

The State always supports purchasing the "best value" ticket.  Once all rates are received, the traveler is to compare costs and determine which fare would be the "best value" for their trip.

Christopherson Business Travel

Toll Free Online Support: (800) 535-0179

Online Email:

Toll Free Travel Advisor Team: (800) 961-0720

Travel Advisor Email:


If you previously had a profile set up with Shorts Travel Management, you should have received a welcome email from Christopherson Business Travel with a link to set up your new password only.  If you are a new employee, or have never had an airfare profile set up in the past, please click here to set up a profile.  If you have a profile set up and would like to designate someone else to book your travel on your behalf, please click here.

 Logging into Christopherson Business Travel

Selecting a Travel Arranger

Checking Profile for Correct Agency

 If you need help logging in, please contact the travel desk at (985) 549-2089.

Lodging, Meals and Incidentals

Employees will be reimbursed lodging rates, plus allowable taxes and surcharges/fees according to the GSA lodging rates for the applicable location (receipts required). The GSA lodging rates can be found here.

Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Territories shall be reimbursed $175 per night plus any allowable taxes and surcharges/fees.

When traveling in-state, a Hotel Tax Exempt form must be used.  When lodging rates are higher than the published GSA lodging rates, the traveler can complete the Hotel Overage Request form with all necessary approvals and documentation attached in order to receive maximum reimbursement.

Employees will be reimbursed for meals and incidentals according to the GSA meal rates for the applicable location. The GSA meal and incidental rates can be found here.

Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Territories shall be reimbursed as follows:
          Meals - Breakfast $17, Lunch $18, Dinner $34
          Incidentals - $5 per day
          First and last day meal and incidental reimbursements shall not exceed $55.50

Meal allowance includes tax and tips. Receipts are not required for routine meals, unless a cash advance was received.  Reimbursement for alcohol is prohibited.  Note: When a meal is included in the conference schedule, it is considered part of the registration fee - additional reimbursement will not be given for that meal.


Baton Rouge Airport - The state’s current contract rate is $4.50 per day (receipts required) for parking in the indoor parking garage as well as the outside fenced parking lot at the Baton Rouge Airport. Documentation required to receive the contract price is the airport certificate and a State ID. Airport certificate may be found on State Travel Office’s website at:

New Orleans Airport Parking - USPARK's uncovered parking is reimbursable at a rate of $14.00/day (show University I.D. for discount) plus allowed tax with a receipt. The New Orleans Airport Surface Lot, located on airport property, is reimbursable at a maximum of $18 per day with a receipt. The New Orleans Airport Airline Economy Garage, located off property, is reimbursable at a maximum of $12 per day with a receipt. Please click here for a map of the New Orleans Airport Parking lots.

Travelers using motor vehicles on official state business may be reimbursed for all other parking, including airport parking except as listed above, ferry fares, and road and bridge tolls. For each transaction over $5, a receipt is required.

Motor Vehicle Travel

Travel with a personal vehicle is limited to 99 miles per roundtrip/day.  If you are traveling more than 99 miles, it is encouraged that you use a rental vehicle with the State's contracted vendors/rates (see below for details).

Rental vehicle expenses must be included in the Spend Authorization (SA).  A Vehicle Rental Request Form must be signed by the person taking the trip and uploaded to the SA when someone enters the SA on behalf of the traveler. Routine in-state field travel does not require a SA unless a rental vehicle will be used.

Employees are allowed up to the Standard Size Vehicle for rentals.  If you are traveling with more than 2 people and/or need a larger rental for a specific business function, you may request a larger rental vehicle on the vehicle rental form.  Justification must be included.

No State Agencies should be paying state taxes on in-state vehicle rentals for official state business.  If you receive any invoice(s) where the taxes are added, please contact the Enterprise branch you rented the vehicle from to request that taxes are removed from your receipt.

Foreign Currency Conversion

Currency Conversion Requirements for Foreign Travel

When requesting travel reimbursement, all expenses incurred in foreign currencies or exchanges of currency must be converted to U.S. dollars. The request for reimbursement must document the calculation using an approved foreign currency conversion methodology. Multiple methodologies may be used in a single trip. Travelers may utilize the following methodologies:

Onsite Exchange Rate: If the traveler converts U.S. dollars to a foreign currency, the traveler must provide the receipt showing the actual exchange rate. This single rate may be used for all expenses paid for with the converted currency, with the total of the expenses not to exceed the amount converted. Additional fees charged by the foreign currency exchange vendor may be reimbursed, if included on the receipt, itemized, and explained. Note: The receipt for the currency exchange cannot be dated more than 3 days prior to the first date of travel or after the last date of trip per the travel authorization form.

Credit Card Rate: If the traveler charges expenses to a credit or debit card, the card issuer will perform the currency exchange. The rate will be detailed on the traveler’s card statement, which may be used as documentation of the exchange rate. Additional fees charged by the card issuer for foreign currency transactions may be reimbursed, if itemized and explained on the statement.

Online Rate: The traveler may use the website for the historical currency exchange as a standard conversion rate. The OANDA website provides exchange rates on a daily basis. Documentation of the conversion rate should be provided for each date where an expense was charged. If a traveler does not provide any documentation of the currency exchange rate used, the online rate option will be used. Note: For lodging, a conversion should only be provided for the day of the charge, not for each day of the stay.

Training Resources



Contact Us

Controller's Office
SLU 10720
Hammond, LA 70402

(985) 549-2089 Phone
(985) 549-3802 FAX