Meeting Minutes


Minutes from the September 27, 2016 Student Technology Fee Committee meeting 

 

In Attendance:  Committee members – Patricia Fowler, Erin Fernandez, Madeline Kelly, Bryce Carpenter, Aaron Johnson, Mike Asoodeh and Donna Methvien.  Jim McHodgkins attended as an interim committee member from Student Affairs.  Also in attendance was Shannon Sciortino. 

 

The meeting began at 3:30 p.m.

The August 8, 2016 meeting minutes were reviewed. Aaron Johnson made a motion to approve the minutes.  Erin Fernandez seconded the motion. The vote was 8-0 in favor of approving this motion.

Reports on Action Items:

  • Fund Balance System - Shannon Sciortino did have Patricia and Erin set up to be approvers in the Fund Balance System.
  • Software Requests – Donna Methvien did have the approved software installed.
  • Surplus Equipment – Donna Methvien did surplus the equipment.

     

     

Fall Schedule – Shannon Sciortino handed out and reviewed the fall meeting schedule.

 

Wifi Issues – Erin Fernandez reported there have been recent connectivity issues and speed issues with campus wifi. There was a network upgrade and these issues have improved.  Mike Asoodeh reported that we are continually upgrading and improving the network as the budget allows.  Some buildings such as DVickers are constructed from materials which absorb the signal.  One common cause of wifi issues is when students connect using slu-guest instead of slu-secure.  Slu-guest is purposefully limited.  The students will monitor the wifi concerns and inform Dr. Asoodeh if they experience further issues.  Action Item:  Mike Asoodeh will have a message posted on the webmail login screen to inform students of the differences between slu-secure and slu-guest.

 

Printing Cover Page – Erin Fernandez reported she had received a lengthy email suggesting that cover pages be a part of each print job. Erin mentioned that every time someone prints, it would use more paper, thus increasing our printing costs.  Asoodeh reported that the average print job was 4 pages.  To add a cover page would increase printing costs by 20% or $22,000.  The total cost of printing is not just the paper.  It includes the wear and tear on the equipment parts and drum as the paper runs through the fuser.  Action Item:  Donna Methvien will set up a meeting with Clarissa Sampey and Dr. Asoodeh to discuss ideas of how this can be addressed.

 

Missing Equipment/Checkout – Donna Methvien reported that a student checked out a camera and failed to return the camera. The student is no longer a student at the university.  After a letter was sent to the student, he said the camera was stolen and he didn’t file a police report.  The library’s policy is that after 60 days, they will bill the user a replacement fee +a 20% processing fee.  Donna Methvien made a motion to put a similar policy in place for the Student Technology Center’s checkout equipment.  Jim McHodgkins stated that a police report should also be filed.  Erin Fernandez seconded the motion. The vote was 8-0 in favor of approving this motion. Action Item:  Donna Methvien will work with Clarissa Sampey to put the policy in place and put a statement on the checkout agreement describing the action to be taken if a student fails to return the equipment.  Donna will have a hold placed on the student’s account for the price of the camera and bag.  Donna will have a police report filed for the camera and bag.

 

A motion to adjourn was made by Aaron Johnson. Madeline Kelly seconded the motion. The vote was 8-0 in favor of this motion.  The meeting was adjourned at 4:02 p.m.

 

Next Meeting – The next meeting will be held October 13, 2016, and will be coordinated by Shannon Sciortino.