Soldier Saluting Flag

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for the GI BILL?

Students must apply using the standard GI BILL forms or they can apply online through


How long does the process take?

When applying for benefits, allow the VA four to eight weeks for your application to be processed.


What form do I use?

If this is your first time applying for GI BILL benefits, complete Form 22-1990; for others (dependent/spouse) complete Form 22-5490 online.


What other forms do I provide?

For all active duty students, you must attach a copy of your form “DD-214”. For non-active duty (reservists/guards) you must attach a copy of your “NOBE” Notice of Basic Eligibility. For all others (dependent’s proof of birth certificate or marriage certificate for spouse). This information can be submitted to the VA through there fax number at 918-781-7863.


How do I check the status of my submitted application?

Call 1-888-442-4551 or 1-888-GIBILL-1.


When do I use form “22-1995” or “22-5495”?

A Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or Form 22- 5495 (for dependent/spouse) should be used if the student changes major/objective, transfers from another institution, or when the last enrollment has been over a year ago. These forms are available at


I want to use my benefits again this semester. What do I do?

Upon registration, all VA students must complete a Certification Request form and submit it to the Financial aid office.


Does the VA pay for my tuition and fees?

Yes. The VA pays tuition and fees for Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) and Vocational Rehab (Chapter 31) and the Fry Scholarship (Dependent Gold Star Program)


Is my program approved for benefits?

All degree programs are approved by the VA.


Do I get credit for courses I am taking that are not required for my major?

NO. The VA does not pay you for courses not required for your major. Courses must be either a prerequisite for your major/program or required for that major/program. However, the VA has a Round Out benefit that allows veterans and dependents to take courses out of their degree program if they are graduating within that semester.


Can I sign up for direct deposit?

You sign up for direct deposit on your application for benefits. VA Form 22-1990 or 22-5690.


How do I verify my enrollment and how often should I do it?

You must verify your enrollment at the end of each month if you are using CH 30, or CH 1606 benefits. To verify enrollment by phone, call 1-877-823-2378, or go to


Can I apply for student financial aid while receiving VA benefits?

Yes. You can apply via the web by going to the federal website FAFSA Online.


How much money will I get each month?

Education benefit payment rates vary depending on your chapter. Go to this website to look at your current year rates.