The mission of Lions Connected (LC) is to provide a personalized, post-secondary educational experience for individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ID) by immersing our students into the “College Experience” while preparing them for vocational opportunities.
Lions Connected courses, combined with college-level courses are centered around the practice of “learning by doing”. As LC students prepare for a career they love, we work closely with each student to customize their courses and college experience. Academic mentors accompany each student every step of the way, including class attendance, in-class assignments and out-of-class assignments and homework support. Social Mentors are available to work with our students as often as needed.
The entire program is driven by the importance of inclusion of students. LC students learn functional, social, employment, and academic skills needed to be successful individuals in society. Each semester, LC students audit 1 Academic Course as well as 1 Kinesiology Lab Course to take while on campus. LC students also participate in a functional Life Skills Program. During the final semester of the program, LC students have the opportunity for supported employment.
Participants in our program will:
Socialize with typical college peers
Improve communication skills in order to better communicate within the workplace.
Receive functional as well as academic instruction that will better prepare them to become independent individuals within their community
Develop employment skills necessary to become a successful employee so that they will be able to be self-supportive.
Academic and Social Mentors are with each LC student every step of the way. The Mentors are there to ensure that LC students are fully engaged on campus. Academic Mentors attend class with our LC students, help with class assignments, and provide homework support. Social Mentors hang out with our LC students while enjoying lunch in the Student Union, during campus events, or by playing sports and/or exercising in the Pennington Center.
The Lions Connected Program offers a 2 year or a 4 year curriculum. The curriculum incorporates functional, academic, communicative, social, and employment skills as well as goals for LC students. The program fee for students is $3,000.00 per semester.
There are many benefits associated with Lions Connected program. Students in the Lions Connected Program receive social and employment skills that will allow them to be successful in the workforce. Students also learn functional skills that will help them become more independent, decision making members of society.
In order to be selected for the Lions Connected program, potential students must meet the following qualifications:
The student must
• have a Certificate of Completion from their high school
• be between 18-25 years of age
• display appropriate University and classroom behavior
• manage basic self-care skills such as eating, dressing, personal hygiene
• demonstrate a commitment to work and a desire for personal independence
• demonstrate the following skills: basic math/counting skills, basic reading and writing skills, ability to operate a calculator, demonstrate the ability to conduct a successful personal interview independently from outside prompting by a parent or guardian
If you or your child is interested in applying for the Lions Connected program, please download a copy of our application here. If you would like to request additional information, please email us at LionsConnected@southeastern.edu or check out our Facebook page to see what we're up to.
Ruby's Rainbow Scholarship
Eligibility and Criteria for the Ruby's Rainbow Scholarship:
- This grant is for individuals with Down syndrome who are 18 years of age or older.
- Desire and intent to enroll or continue enrollment in a class or program that will enhance your life through employment, independent living or life skills, or interests in any other areas.
- Provide high school transcripts or equivalent (certificate of completion).
- Individuals who were previously awarded a Ruby’s Rainbow scholarship are not eligible to apply for another scholarship the following year, but may reapply again two years later.