Southeastern's Livingston Literacy and Technology Center offers spring non-credit courses
by: Tonya Lowentritt
HAMMOND – Acting for Kids Konfidence, Drilling Down to the Core, Survival Spanish for Beginners, 2014 On Target!, Notorial Preparation and Quickbooks Preparation are just some of the topics of non-credit courses being offered this spring at the Livingston Parish Literacy and Technology Center in Walker.
"We're pleased to offer four new non-credit programs this year to add to a wide range of educational opportunities," said Joan Gunter, director of Southeastern Louisiana University programs at the center. "Our non-credit courses and youth enrichment programs provide diverse offerings in leisure, personal and professional development."
The center, a joint project of Southeastern and the Livingston Parish School Board, is located at 9261 Florida Blvd.
Spring non-credit courses include:
▪ Acting for Kids Konfidence, Thurdays, Jan. 23, 5:30-6:30 p.m. This program is a mixture of acting, drama and improvisation designed to create confidence and self-esteem within children, age 6-12. The cost is $200.
▪ Drilling Down to the Core, Wednesdays with three 30 minute sessions available (choose 5 -5:30 p.m., 5:45-6:15 p.m., or 6:30-7 p.m.). This course will help parents and students with the "new" math this year. Parents will learn how to help their children at home with homework. Students will get that extra boost they need to feel confident in math studies. The cost is $90.
▪ Survival Spanish for Beginners, Thursdays, 6-7:15 p.m. Survival Spanish for beginners will be a fun, conversational course designed to practice daily life and work scenarios by speaking strictly in Spanish. Survival Spanish lessons will include immersion practices in conversation, reading and writing. Instruction will take place using videos, computer assignments, written and oral exercises and team projects. By the end of the 10-week course, participants will feel confident holding a "survival" conversation in Spanish. The cost is $157.
▪ 2014 On Target! Mondays and Wednesdays from 12 -1 p.m. The key to committing to New Year's resolutions is having a bulletproof plan of action. Don't miss this opportunity to develop and proclaim a solid action plan and achieve New Year's resolutions once and for all. The cost is $27.
▪ Notorial Preparation, Tuesdays from 6-8:30 p.m. This course is an introduction to and education for a Louisiana State Notary Public. It is designed to help students successfully pass the statewide Louisiana Notarial Exam. However, it is also a great refresher course on civil law basics and sound notarial practice for commissioned notaries and attorneys as well. Topics include the duties of a notary, contracts, acts, donations, sales and wills. The cost is $625
▪ Quickbooks 2013-Level 1, Tuesdays from 6-8:15 p.m. QuickBooks software is used by more than five million businesses in the country. Basic computer knowledge and some understanding of financial terms (checking accounts, revenues, expenses, etc.) are recommended for this course. Participants can receive up to 1.2 CEUs that can be combined with Levels II and III. The cost is $375.
Beginner classes on Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Publisher are also offered by appointment. Complete dates, times, costs and course descriptions are available by visiting www.southeastern.edu/livingston.
For more information about programs offered at the Literacy and Technology Center, contact Joan Gunter at (225) 665-3303 or email email@example.com.